Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm pain free

Posted by Justin Z on 6/12/03 at 11:54 (121642)

Because my situation was unique, I may not be able to help anyone but it's worth a shot.
Oct '98- 18 yrs old, wrongly diagnosed with hypothyroidism (t4 5.5 tsh 1.2)
symptoms of fatigue and poor athletic performance were temporarily relieved
Dec. '99- (college freshman) dosage increased from .100 to .150 because the old symptoms returned (t4 5.0 tsh .30)
2000- vulnerable to injury and illness, can't make the track team
Mar. 2001- terrible pain in my foot develops (TTS) after latest attempt to make the team, relieved with rest but can no longer compete. able to exercise enough to relieve major depression.
Sept. 2002- idiot doctor raises dosage to .175, can't function, switch doctors. new doctor takes me off Synthroid, which leaves me worse off than before. Anti-depressants provided temporary relief to depression but of course did nothing for the TTS. I got back on a low dosage of Synthroid.
Feb '03- I begin to treat myself with Adrenal Support and miraculously improved and was able to wean myself off Synthroid. My connective tissues (CTS AND TTS healed as a result)
Anybody who is hypothyroid and not responding to treatment (yes, there is a link between thyroid, adrenal glands and TTS), I urge you to search 'Adrenal Boost' 'Adrenal fatigue' for more info. If it helps one person, it was worth it to share some of my story.

Re: I'm pain free

Pam S. on 6/12/03 at 23:46 (121724)

What does TTS have to do with thyroid? I have had my thyroid checked so many times but it is normal. Since this is the case, would I benefit from Adrenal support if I struggle with fibromyalgia and alot of foot pain TTS and PF? Is this a supplement you take or a prescription medication? Thx

Justin Z. on 6/13/03 at 12:34 (121763)

This is a supplement. A low or 'low normal' T4 and a low or 'low end' TSH is nearly a sure sign of adrenal fatigue. I'm not exactly sure how the thyroid causes TTS but I do know that it irritates the nerves and joints and slows healing of connective tissues and causes symptoms to flare up. There is a high correlation between TTS, CTS and thyroid problems. For more information on the thyroid, look up 'Mary Shoman' on Yahoo. If you suffer from severe stress, you may psychologically benefit from adrenal support even if it does not cure your physical problems. Another website that I found useful regarding the 'normal' and 'optimal ranges' of thyroid values is drrind.com (I'm not sure of the address, but you can always search 'Dr. Rind' on Yahoo. Good luck. I hope that you do find help.

Justin Z. on 6/13/03 at 12:41 (121764)

Another quick note on the thyroid. Suppose your TSH value is 4.4, you will probably be considered 'normal', but if it's 4.5, you will be diagnosed as hypothyroid. Differences this small could result from lab error. Furthermore, 0.1 higher or lower on the scale makes little or no difference in how you feel. Why don't doctors consider this? Good question, no answer.

Re: Thyroid

wendyn on 6/13/03 at 19:43 (121803)

Pam, I don't understand the link - but I know that when the doctors were trying to figure out why my feet were so sore, they tested me for low thyroid.

Re: question for Justin

Pam S. on 6/13/03 at 22:22 (121821)

Justin:
Would the adrenal supplement you are speaking of be glutamine?sp? Also, have you heard of digestive enzymes helping one with foot probs. thx, pam

Sharon W on 6/13/03 at 22:48 (121825)

Wendy, Pam, Justin,

The common link between low thyroid and TTS might very well be peripheral neuropathy. Low levels of thyroid hormone are known as one of the most common causes of neuropathy (that may be why Wendy's docotors were checking for it).

I've had two different neurologists tell me that there is a close relationship between peripheral neuropathy and entrapment syndromes like TTS or CTS. One said that PN and entrapment neuropathies were 'linked'; the other one actually came right out and said that peripheral neuropathy 'contributes to the development of TTS'.

Sharon
:)

lara t on 6/14/03 at 12:57 (121863)

I thought PN was a problem with several things in the foot, while TTS just involved the tibial nerve. So how could they be 'linked'? I'm real intersted in this cuz I have a family history of thyroid problems, although my tests have always come back fine (as have my sister's who obviously isn't fine - so each new referral has to rule out the same set of diseases, including medications she knows doesn't work and sometimes is painful).

If thyroid problems were contributing to my TTS - what would I do? See my family physician? orthopedist? podiatrist? What would I ask for? look for?

Sharon W on 6/14/03 at 18:49 (121881)

Lara,

I cannot say that I've ever had a doctor spell this out to me, but I can tell you what I know.

There are many different types of peripheral neuropathy, with many different causes. In most cases of PN, the feet are involved to one extent or another, and in many cases, PN does affect the posterior tibial nerve in the ankle (and its branches in the foot). It is, after all, one of the largest peripheral nerves in that area of the body. Many types of PN cause inflammation and damage to the myellin sheath that surrounds and 'insulates' peripheral nerves. 'Inflammation' essentially means swelling, and inflammation around a nerve tends to cause quite a bit of pain.

I also know that one of the most common presumed causes for TTS is inflammation or swelling inside the tarsal tunnel area (especially in cases where no mass or varicosity or anything is found INSIDE the tarsal tunnel to be removed). TTS is a type of entrapment or compression neuropathy affecting the posterior tibial nerve.

If you think about it, it makes sense that any type of PN which causes an inflammatory process around the posterior tibial nerve, if it causes inflammation and swelling in the area of the inner ankle where the posterior tibial nerve passes through the tarsal tunnel, can cause excessive pressure (compression) inside that tightly enclosed area and therefore become TTS.

That sounds pretty confusing -- sorry I'm not better at explaining things.

I will send you some interesting stuff about the new endocrinology guidelines for defining hypothyroidism, etc., by e-mail.

Sharon
:'>