Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Giving credit to Mr. Bush....

Posted by marie on 6/12/03 at 20:03 (121696)

As a Democrat I have long supported adding perscription coverage to medicaid. Our elderly folks don't need to make choices between food or medication. Although the current bill has some flaws I am happy that Mr. Bush has seen fit to push the bill through the congress even though it is primarily a Democratic bill. Thanks Mr. Bush.

marie

Re: Giving credit to Mr. Bush....

Sharon W on 6/12/03 at 20:22 (121701)

Marie,

I do think he cares about prescription coverage for the elderly, and wants to do right by them.

Sharon

marie on 6/12/03 at 20:49 (121702)

I am so happy that he is pushing this bill. I think we all want to do right by the elderly and I am very appreciative that Bush cares enough to step out of his party and do the right thing. I don't want this conversation to turn into one of those political discussions I just want to acknowledge his good deed for the day.:)

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/03 at 21:09 (121706)

Marie:

Medicaid has always had prescription coverage. You are probably thinking of Medicare. There are elderly patients who have great difficulty paying for prescription drugs. The problem is that many of the elderly are wealthy and may be getting a benefit paid for by taxpayors who are less fortunate. I can only see the system being fair if some form of needs testing is included.

Ed

marie on 6/12/03 at 21:38 (121712)

Yes my mistake I meant Medicare. I agree there seems to be a few flaws in the bill and you just pointed out a very good one. Perhaps some of the flaws will be hashed out before it makes it through congress. I am just glad that there is a bill that has a chance of being passed and am appreciative that Mr. Bush seems to want it to pass.

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/03 at 23:12 (121722)

Marie:

I may be beating a dead horse here but one of the big problems with the ability to obtain prescription drugs is the extraordinarily high cost of such drugs in the US. We need tort reform and reform of the FDA if we are going to bring those prices down.
Ed

Re: There is help, now !!!

BrianG on 6/13/03 at 08:07 (121735)

Hi Marie,

I don't know if you have heard, but almost all the big drug makers will give free meds to the poor. If you make under a certain amount per year, usually about $15,000, you can be elligble. Go to any search engine and type in 'needy meds', or you can go to this website: http://www.needymeds.com
I'm not sure, but this last website may charge a nominal fee for the informmation. If you want to dig a little, all the info is free. I myself will be changing from Medicaid, to Medicare next year, and I have all the forms, ready to go. We fill them out, and then give them to our doctor. He signs them and then sends them in. In a couple months, you get your meds, if everything is in order, free!

It is a little extra work for your doctor, so I'd be nice to him / her in the mean time :*)

Good luck, and I hope that Medicare will soon do it's part!
BrianG

marie on 6/13/03 at 09:49 (121741)

The costs of medication are absolutely outragious in this country. Tha tis why so many folks order their meds via internet or they make a run down to Mexico. The cost of healthcare in general is outragious. I don't mean to pick on doctors as I know they have so many expenses but the cost of seeing a physcian is out of control. We have been fortunate to have good insurance coverage for medical, perscriptions and dental but I can't turn a blind I to the needy. Trying to reform the FDA could take years of battles in congress and people in need can't wait that long.....they need help now. I do totally agree with you on the high costs of medication and we definately need to reform the FDA.

Thanks for your input.

Re: There is help, now !!!

marie on 6/13/03 at 09:51 (121742)

Thanks for the information! I am sure that many folks could benefit from your research!!!!!

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/03 at 14:35 (121773)

Marie:

Healthcare providers share the frustrations oncerning costs since we are in the frontline and are unable to provide needed treatments to our patients with an increasing frequency. The basic causes of the high costs must be addressed ASAP. Congress will listen if the public is well informed and vocal.

Ed

marie on 6/13/03 at 17:38 (121794)

I understand completely.