Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spur ESWT

Posted by Julie H. on 6/12/03 at 22:12 (121717)

I am looking at getting ESWT treatment, what kind of pain should I expect and what should I do to ensure a full recovery? Thank you.

Re: Heel spur ESWT

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/14/03 at 16:27 (121872)

Julie, you shouldn't experience any pain during the actual procedure, because the area should be anesthetized. Following the procedure, some patients describe a bruised feeling, and some relate a numb feeling for a short time. It is rare to experience any increased pain, other than the plantar fasciitis discomfort that already existed. The best things you can do to make sure that you have a full recovery include following your doctor's instructions, limiting activity, resume any inserts or orthoses that you have, continue with proper shoes and continue with any night splints that you have been using. Don't resume strenuous activities prior to your doctor giving you the OK and use common sense. If you have any questions about the procedure, contact your doctor or email me at (email removed) for information.