Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Too much stretching

Posted by HilaryG on 6/13/03 at 15:36 (121779)

Is there such a thing as too much stretching. How much stretching should one do for pf?

Re: Too much stretching

Suzanne D on 6/13/03 at 17:20 (121790)

Hillary, there have been quite a few posts written about stretching, and to sum up what I remember about them, if you are not in good physical shape and if you do not do them correctly, some of the more extreme stretching exercises prescribed for PF (such as the wall stretch and the hanging-off-the-stairs stretch) can be more harmful than helpful.

You might want to do a search on the boards on stretching. But if you don't have time for that, a click on the word yoga here will bring up sensible exercises which benefit almost anyone and can be done without possible injury. If you haven't already read about them, I urge you to do so.

Good luck,
Suzanne :)

Re: Too much stretching

Pam S. on 6/13/03 at 21:51 (121816)

I feel and have learned that keeping the calf muscles loose is quite important for your feet. I do the wall stretches and off the stair but I am careful. You cannot underestimate the importance of stretching - for your entire body really. Especially is you have feet problems. Always stretch when you are warmed up. After getting out of the shower is my favorite time to stretch my legs. Or after exercising.

Sometimes I squat and stretch my feet. I know it sounds weird but I am always looking for ways to stretch out those puppies. Speaking of puppies, ever watch a cat or dog stretch. They need it too!!!