Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Candidate?

Posted by James T. on 6/13/03 at 19:02 (121797)

79 year old male. An improperly applied cast to a broken leg, both bones, generated a leg ulcer which 'ate' into the
Achilles tendon causing it to subsequently calcify. Because of continued extensive use of the leg playing tennis (after nine months in a cast) with no flexion in the ankle, a plantar fasciia heel spur resulted. Many years ago a podiatrist, examining x-rays
told me the spur had been broken in at least one place.
In 1999 I sent x-rays to a Dr. Christine Bachman, Munich, who, research indicated as being foremost in the field of ESWT. Her comment: 'Looking at your x-rays, I can't see how it is possible for you to walk a single step. Nevertheless, this is especially concerning the heel spur an excellent indication for thr shock wave therapy.' (I had been traveling regularly to Germany at that time, but it was not practical to follow-up on her suggestion.)
In May, 2002, I contacted Dr. Judith Baumhauer, Rochester, New York, who has been performong the procedure for some time, but who, after extensive exchange of information, says I am not a candidate.
Current pain level (1-10) is 7. This is residual pain, without even walking on it.
I will not consider surgey, based on less than satisfactory statistical results, plus the fact that after six spinal surgical interventions,
the last one a 'mistake', I must now use a walker.
Question: am I a candidate for ESWT?

Re: ESWT Candidate?

Jen L on 6/14/03 at 17:30 (121877)

James,
Have you tried all/most of the conserviative treatments for heel spurs? If you read the Heel Pain book on this site you will get a lot of useful info. about it.
It's hard to tell if someone is a right candidate for ESWT without examination/evaluation by a doctor. But you can switch doctor until you find one who can really help you. It took me about eight months and three doc. plus tests and tests to get the green light for ESWT.
Good luck.

Jen, not a doctor.

James T. on 6/15/03 at 13:58 (121928)

Thanks, Jen L., for your thoughts
Currently, regardless of pain, based on statistical results, I will NOT attempt a surgical solution.
For another reason, after six spinal surgical interventions (spinal stenosis), I am commited toa walker- need help with many
tasks. But I have a lovely home, which I designed, in a lovely rural setting with a beautiful view. So geht das Leben! Jim T.

Dr. Z on 6/15/03 at 22:08 (121961)

Hi

This is Dr. Z. I believe we spoke on the phone. IF you have discrete insertional pain where the plantar fascia inserts into the heel bone and you have pain when you first step after sitting for any length of time then you may be an ESWT candidate. Aren't you getting an mri?

James T. on 6/16/03 at 08:31 (121977)

Dr. Z-
Yes, we have talked on the phone. Tomorrow, Tuesday, I asked that Dr. Mangari (Rome, NY) call you, to see if he is able, per your guide lines, to see if he thinks I'm a candidate.
Re: 'MRI.' I planed an updated X-ray (last in '95), but didn't know that an MRI would be appropriate. If so, please so indicate to Dr. M., so I can get a referral, and get this action moving.
Pain level, residual as well as through use, is severe.
Thanks for your thoughts, Jim Taylor

Dr. Z on 6/16/03 at 20:42 (122048)

Hi

I have his number and if he doesn't call me I will give him a call. After we talk I will get in touch with you and give you a plan