Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Disturbing trend in homeless folks in town.....

Posted by marie on 6/13/03 at 19:57 (121807)

As I have posted before I live in a small summer resort community. Many wealthy folks have their second , third, and fourth homes here on on one of the lakes in our county. Every year like clockwork our summer residents return for fun on the lakes. We also have several homeless transients that also return like clock work. I don't know were they go in the winter but they often stay here a few weeks or longer in the summer. After about 17 years some of them have become familiar faces. This year we have our first woman. I don't know why it upsets me but I am so concerned for her. She is filthy from head to toe and seems to be in a bit of a daze most of the time. Most of our transients are harmless. Some of them have mental health issues. We do have a shelter in our community. I guess I am just concerned for her well being. It's tough enough to be a man in this situation but I fear a woman would be at risk. We aren't without crime and we have a huge methamphetimine problem. Just had to mention it. Didn't mean to take up too much space....it just concerns me a little and I feel helpless to do anything.

marie

Re: Disturbing trend in homeless folks in town.....

Pauline on 6/13/03 at 20:06 (121808)

Perhaps your mentioning the situation could provide you with some good ideas to lend a carrying hand to this individual Discussing your concerns about her well being with the pastor of a local church might bring enought attention to her plight so she could receive the additional care that's needed.

Many times all it take is one person to notice and report something so others get the help they need.

marie on 6/13/03 at 21:50 (121815)

That's a good idea. Thanks.

Peter R on 6/14/03 at 12:21 (121859)

If any person, homeless or not, mentally disturbed or not is in violation of any law or a danger to any person or to property then they should be subject to the penalties of that law without mercy. If they are a danger to themselves then they should be incarcerated until they are judged to no longer be a danger. To do anything else simply makes society enablers of antisocial behavior. Oh my- I must be wrong - I hear the lberal scum bags out there moaning and groaning that nobody should ever be resposible for their behavior and perpertrators of anti social acts are really the victims.

Leon S. on 6/14/03 at 18:35 (121879)

You've been taking Michael Savage too seriously. Why do the people who's views you disagree with have to be called liberal scum bags?

Peter R on 6/14/03 at 19:41 (121884)

It's very simple Leon. I don't have any issues with those who simply disagree wih my philosophies. I just feel that most liberals are scum bags. Anybody who tries to makes a perpertrator the victim, who tries to rewrite truthful history, who tries to excuse the laments of a sloth by saying that he is entitled to put his hand in my pocket because 150 years ago somebody stepped on his grandmothers toe is a liberal scum bag. Anyone who says that my child cannot honor the flag of my country in a school that my taxes support, who disadvantages my childs entrance into a school because of some formula designed to favor someone is is not as academicaly deserving is a LIBERAL SCUM BAG. And so Leon look at yourself- are you an apologists for sloths and sociopaths - a history revisionist, a flag burner- are you someone who claims that the holocaust never occured, do you support the abolishment of G-D in our schools? If that description fits you Leon then you are what I detest most in life. A Liberal Scum Bag.

Re: The Ant and the Grasshopper

Max K on 6/15/03 at 00:23 (121897)

Peter R, I think I know what your beef is, see the uncredited story below that I copied from another message board. But such harsh language: scumbags? During the Iraq war, I suggested that those who oppose the war were 'freedom freeloaders', and that got me into some trouble here. Thanks Marie for giving me a moment of pause, I hope to be more precise when applying that term in the future. (No question in my mind, though, there IS such a thing as a freedom freeloader, but instead of narrowing it down, I simply applied the term to all anti-war protestors, which was a clumsy generalization).

Max

CLASSIC VERSION:
The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his
house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the antis warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food or shelter so he dies out in the cold.
MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

MODERN VERSION:
The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his
house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC, ABC, and CNN show up to provide pictures of the shivering
grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so? Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody cries when they sing 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film the group singing 'We shall overcome.' Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake. Tom Daschle & Walter Mondale exclaim in an interview with Peter Jennings that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his 'fair share.'

Finally, the EEOC drafts the 'Economic Equity and Anti-Grasshopper Act,' retroactive to the beginning of the summer. The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.

Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a panel of federal judges that Bill appointed from a list of single-parent welfare recipients.

The ant loses the case.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it. The ant has disappeared in the snow. The grasshopper is found dead in a drug-related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Vote Republican

Dorothy on 6/15/03 at 00:25 (121898)

Homelessness is a problem for our society, meaning that society as a whole must address it. Public libraries all over the country have been forced into an unintended role of homeless shelters because homeless people use libraries as daytime 'homes'. That means libraries are 'bed and bathroom' for people who may not necessarily have well socialized behavior. I do not consider that appropriate or desirable use of a public library. People I know who live in NYC or other large cities are no longer surprised by the increasingly common practice of homeless people defecating and urinating on city sidewalks. Some cities are trying to curb panhandling even as panhandling is increasingly supplanted by more menacing, dangerous or criminal behavior. This is not a problem for piecemeal attention nor for 'do-gooders' to find their rewards as volunteers at soup kitchens and shelters, as well-intentioned as they may be.The roots of this problem lie in the mental health system which, along with the judicial system, has not served mentally ill people, nor society at large, well. Because of legislative and mental health code changes largely in the 1960s and 1970s, the mental health system cannot hold people in institutional care for any significant period of time. This was done ostensibly for 'humanitarian' reasons, but the real reasons were economic. So society sacrificed a more civil society, as well as the necessary caretaking for those who will not/cannot take care of themselves, for short-term economic gain - and got to pat ourselves on the back for how good we are for 'setting people free.' It's a romantic, but wrongheaded notion. For someone who does not have the healthy mental capacity to make informed decisions about his/her life to be given the 'freedom to choose' to live on the streets is not rational, not good for that individual, not good for society. Severe, chronic mental illness is not a romantic state of being, nor is it some special 'shamanistic' way of being. We would no more allow a person with advanced Alzheimer's disease live on the streets than we would a two year old, yet we permit the severe mentally ill to do so everywhere. A false dichotomy has been established wherein 'warehousing' people is decried or homelessness is decried - and in each instance, we are usually talking about people who cannot make rational, informed decisions. Change must occur but society is apparently not ready to insist on some rational middle ground between 'warehousing' and anarchy. Drugs and alcohol are another huge component to homelessness and to the society as a whole. What do we do about all of this?

Sharon W on 6/15/03 at 01:00 (121899)

Dorothy,

Again, I find myself agreeing with much of what you said, especially this part:

'The roots of this problem lie in the mental health system which, along with the judicial system, has not served mentally ill people, nor society at large, well. Because of legislative and mental health code changes largely in the 1960s and 1970s, the mental health system cannot hold people in institutional care for any significant period of time. This was done ostensibly for 'humanitarian' reasons, but the real reasons were economic. So society sacrificed a more civil society, as well as the necessary caretaking for those who will not/cannot take care of themselves, for short-term economic gain - and got to pat ourselves on the back for how good we are for 'setting people free.'

That's the situation in a nutshell. Obviously, many of the patients from mental institutions who were 'set free' had severe psychoses like schitzophrenia and were unable to function in the 'real word'. And as a result of being 'freed' from the mental institutions that many of them essentially knew as 'home,' they often ended up on the street and without any mental health care, whatsoever. Is it any wonder they pee on the sidewalks and act weird?? They certainly deserve our compassion, not our contempt or disgust!

Sharon

Peter R on 6/15/03 at 11:16 (121918)

As far as getting into trouble- I invented the word- If you look up trouble in the dictionary you will see my scowling picture. I thrive on trouble- it is my adrenaline.

ULTRA CONSERVATIVE on 6/15/03 at 17:48 (121948)

And WHO do we have to thank for the homeless on our streets- the mentally ill who deficate on outr streets- the druggies who attack inocent people to pay for their habits. LIBERAL SCUM BAGS LIKE THE ACLU. They are substantionaly responsible for freeing mentaly ill. And who who supports the ACLU- more LIBERAL SCUM BAGS. For every druggy let loose onto our streets to terroize us- lock up a LIBERAL SCUM BAG. For every mentally ill person set loose to be homeless on our streets one of them should be sent to deficate on the doorstep of a lawyer for the ACLU. I HATE LIBERAL SCUM BAGS- THEY ARE A SCOURGE ON OUR SOCIETY

Leon S. on 6/15/03 at 20:12 (121952)

Peter,
You don't know me or anything about me. I simply asked a question. You lumped alot of categories into a sentence, some of which I support and some I don't. What that makes me is an independent thinker who doesn't have to rely on the rhetoric of radio talk show hosts to help me express my opinions. You'd be surprised at how many of those opinions I share with you. It is my country also and I have as much a right to express different views as you do. The vehemence you use to discredit those who disagree with you puts you in the same strata as the worst opponents of a democratic society. If you want to live in a democracy and love it for all it offers, then practice what it preaches.

Leon S. on 6/15/03 at 20:16 (121954)

Peter,
You don't know me or anything about me. I simply asked a question. You lumped alot of categories into a sentence, some of which I support and some I don't. What that makes me is an independent thinker who doesn't have to rely on the rhetoric of radio talk show hosts to help me express my opinions. You'd be surprised at how many of those opinions I share with you. It is my country also and I have as much a right to express different views as you do. The vehemence you use to discredit those who disagree with you puts you in the same strata as the worst opponents of a democratic society. If you want to live in a democracy and love it for all it offers, then practice what it preaches.

BGCPed on 6/15/03 at 20:20 (121955)

So Peter how do you feel the supreme court will go on the UofM admission policy, and try to temper your response

Bob R on 6/16/03 at 13:20 (122000)

ULTRA

yOU NEED TO FIND A GIRLFRIEND qUICKLY

john h-moderator on 6/16/03 at 14:28 (122011)

Peter: I am a know Conservative but you need to tone your post down or they will be removed. You are free to think what you like but please post with some sense of decorum. We have people of all persuaions here and they all post their views but we try to keep it civil wtihout the name calling.

Re: For Peter and ULTRA and anyone that gives a..........

marie on 6/16/03 at 17:48 (122020)

Oh my gosh. Peter, shame on you! A simple expression of concern for another human being has absolutely nothing to do with anything you have posted. I don't have to be a liberal or a conservative to express my concerns. All I have to be is human. By the way it's spelled God. And I am fortunate to be an art teacher because I am the only teacher in the school that can get away with hanging Christian works of art in my room.
We say the pledge and the flag hangs in every classroom of the 4 schools I have taught at. And as far as allowing Chritian prayer we would legally have to allow Satonic prayer....is this what you want your kids to be doing in school? I have had a few Satonists in my classroom and believe me it's nothing you want to mess around with. They love to go after folks just like you AND EVEN MORE SO YOUR CHILDREN. Every child has the right to carry and read the Bible at school....unfortunately because of that I cannot forbid the Satonic Bible.
I am not a small town girl although I live in one now. I know all about the homeless folks that loiter in libraries, museums, and parks. I grew up in seven of the largest cities in our country. And really all of you may be surprised to know that the homeless problem is not just in our country it is a global issue. In my travels to Japan I spoke to many homeless folks...I wanted to know what Japan's laws are regarding homeless. The fact of the matter is that there isn't alot you can do to help someone who is over 18 in this country. They make their own choices. The transients are very aware of the law that's why they walk constantly. Unlike a large city our transients stand out like a sore thumb. The cops know each and every one them....they don't pick them up if they are not breaking the law. Yes we have a huge problem with the funding for mentally ill. They have no money, they have no insurance and they should be on meds but often they choose not to be. We have had several discussions on just how messed up our healthcare system is. No DAH! It is certainly their choice. I am concerned for this young woman because I know there are folks in this community that will prey on her like vultures after the kill. It concerns me....I am no dumby there's not alot I can do, it has to come from her. It is her choice to get well, her choice to pull herself together and get off the road. There is ample help for anyone that REALLY wants to do it.

Peter and ULTRA...I hate to say it but your posts reflect that of a bigot. Prejadice comes in many shapes and forms and I am sad to say that I have seen it here today. Shame on YOU BOTH! Perhaps a trip to the nearest mental health facility would do you both some good. The folks on this board are not your punching bags. But it is your choice...you're over 18. Get Well Soon!

Odios

marie on 6/16/03 at 18:06 (122023)

Documentation please.

marie on 6/16/03 at 18:07 (122024)

Thank you John.

JudyS on 6/16/03 at 19:11 (122036)

Good Heavens Peter! A very caring, giving, and regular poster here writes beautifully about her personal concern re: a local homeless person and you immediately turn it into a nasty, mean-spirited political discourse. I ditto the 'shame on you' I just read. All she was doing was being her caring self - which we've all grown to appreciate in her.
Yours is not a totally familiar name to me here so I'm not sure what your PF background is but, as you are a self-described troublemaker, I'd advise you to go away. You're in the wrong place.
Yes I know I'm being blunt but you know what? We recently lost some extremely wonderful people here because of your kind of antagonism and I selfishly don't want it to happen again.
Please, go be a troublemaker somewhere else - this is a help forum, plain and simple.

Leon S. on 6/16/03 at 20:30 (122047)

I think that Peter and Ultra are the same person. Also, I'm ashamed to say that a clue to something about Peter is the fact that he spelled G-D. It is a sign that he might be an orthodox Jew because they are forbidden to write His name. I don't know if other religions are similar but in many Orthodox newspapers and articles, that is how the spell the word. If he is, he is a disgrace to my religion and to all it represents.

Dorothy on 6/16/03 at 21:28 (122052)

Marie ~
Most of the chronic severely mentally ill population are on either SSI (Supplemental Security Income) or SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) which has insurance with it (Medicare). Community Mental Health Centers/Associations provide treatment to this population and in most communities there are Assertive Community Treatment Teams (ACT teams) that do yeoman work trying to keep these people out of hospitals and in community-based treatment and/or intensive community based case management services.However, mental health in-patient 'beds' close and CMH staffs get reduced - and burn out is pretty high anyway. The fact is that there is a pretty well entrenched myth out there that severely mentally ill people are not dangerous when, in fact, it is not uncommon that they are quite often a danger - either to others or themselves. Only under an involuntary commitment can they be forced to take medications and then only as an in-patient - which is invariably short-term. And so the revolving door keeps turning. Police often end up being the intervenors simply because a mentally ill person commits a crime, but the police want the mentally ill person out of their jail ASAP because they are very, very difficult to deal with. As a result, neither the mentally ill population nor the needs and rights of society are being served. Just as in health care reform, I ask: what kind of society do we want to have? We live in a democratic society and we can structure it as we think proper - if we are willing to work at it. I happen to think that our cities should be civil, habitable, and safe and I don't think that large populations of transients who are mentally ill or on illegal drugs using public spaces as 'home' are compatible with those qualities. Finally, I also think that criminal gangs should be treated as domestic terrorists and the preyed-upon residents of America's cities should be - at long last - set free from criminals' predation. What exactly is a civil society and why do we not have it? It is far more than being polite - although that is one element of it, and we can all certainly exercise that here on this message board - being courteous to each other. Adieu.

marie on 6/16/03 at 22:10 (122060)

Dorothy,
I am stunned. There is nothing that you said in your statement that I don't already knoew and agree with. I have no clue as to why some of the folks in this thread have seen it as an opportunity to attack people. What is it that you want?

odios marie

Dorothy on 6/16/03 at 23:32 (122069)

If you felt that something I said was an 'attack', then I apologize. I certainly had no such intention. To your question, 'what is it that I want?', I was simply adding to the discussion that had been started about homelessness and its various facets, I guess 'what I wanted' was to join in the 'conversation' as you did. Exiting now...

Re: Dorothy

marie on 6/17/03 at 09:26 (122093)

I didn't feel that anything you said was offensive that is why I addressed the post to Peter and Ultra. It is not the first time Peter has attempted to stir things up on this board. I just wasn't sure if you were disagreeing and siding with Peter or Ultra. Didn't mean to come across kirt or demanding but I am very offended that Peter has been allowed to get away with being obnoxious once again. The post calling all liberals scumbags should have been deleted. I am an extremely conservative person who simply cares about others. I don't live in the big city nor do I live in a nice suburbon home wwere I can arbitrarily pass judgements on the world at the expense of others. What happens is when folks like Peter are not corrected or deleted the conversation spirals downward. If i posted that all conservatives are 'scumbags' I guarantee you that post would have been deleted. That kind of behavior should not be allowed on the board period. Peter used my concern for someone as a platform for hatred. It has nothing to do with the bigger problem which you were attempting to address. That is why I wanted to let you know that I don't disagree with you.

marie

marie on 6/17/03 at 13:23 (122125)

I don't think anyone would object to the ant and the grasshopper story. We have so many folks that work very hard in this country as I am sure that you do. We hate to see folks who don't seem to be making any effort to help themselves receive help. There are always those who will take advantage of the system. Does that mean we should stop trying to be kind to others.

As a reminder I went to Japan as a member of 50 educators acting as sort of ambassadors..we learned a great deal about their culture and they ours. The trip was sponsored by Toyota Motor Corp., USA. It was handled by the International Institute of Education....they are best known for rescuing jewish educator's during WWII but are probably better known for Fullbright Scholors. I was selected because of my research and work with gardens. There are many homeless men in Japan and you may find it interesting to know that many of them have small gardens.....some that they move around with them. Some of the homeless folks who live in the countryside have small vegetable gardens...corn is one of their favorite things to grow.

One of the teachers i traveled with was a young man about 28 years old. He had a young daughter at home and was a technology teacher...I will call him Jim. Jim was not very fond of the Japanese food....he turned green when he was offered a bowl of raw beef with egg yolk for dipping. Every time our bus stopped at a convinient store Jim would get out and buy every junk food available...he is a big guy about 6'4' and 300 lbs. He was starving. One time we stopped a a store and I noticed several homeless folks near the interstate so i went over to speak with them about their modest garden. When I was on my way back to the bus i saw jim come out of the store with several large bags of food and I thought Jim must really be hungry today.......but he didn't get back on the bus instead he walked over and gave each of the homeless folks a bag of groceries. He quietly got back on the bus without notice. You see we can't save the world and change everyone, but for that day some people ate. A few people on the other side of the world have an understanding of just how kind an American can be. Because Jim was an ant with a heart so big he didn't bother to worry about whether these folks were grasshoppers or just lost souls. He didn't walk by. I'm the only one who knows what Jim did...he didn't want anyone else to know. I gave Jim my pretzels...cause I knew he was still hungry.

If that makes Jim a scumbag then so be it. I would rather be in the company of a scumbag than someone who just walks by. I'll share my pretzels with him any day. Jim and I met again in Washington DC on the 6 mo. anniversary of 9/11. We spent time with so many of the families who lost their loved ones. The president gave a nice speech. We missed it but everyone we met told us Bush did a very nice job. Jim and I selected the next group of folks to go to Japan. We were the only ones who were brave enough to fly in and out of Reagon International Airport on that day from our group.

odios marie

Dorothy on 6/17/03 at 13:27 (122127)

Ok. Thanks for the clarification - and also for the joke in your other post. Made me laugh!
I agree with you about the pointless and thoughtless name calling in those posts you mentioned. There is a great deal of 'us versus them' mentality in the country that is VERY destructive. We are all Americans and we sink or swim together. I think swimming is the better choice.

I think that a lot of the daily and nightly diatribe on talk radio is part and parcel of this kind of 'us versus them' activity. Occasionally I catch some of Sean Hannity on nighttime radio or Rush Limbaugh and I hear an awful lot of 'those liberals'... and 'that's how liberals think...how liberals are...' and the new popular term of 'useful idiots.' What is helpful about that attitude for making this country a good place for everyone, not just for the Hannitys and the Limbaughs? These are mindless generalizations. Do people who talk like that actually desire a one-party/one-philosophy nation? There is a word for that kind of government and I don't think it is compatible with being American. Regardless of 'liberal-conservative-other-combination-whatever', we need thinkers and do-ers, not just bobble-headed destroyers. Ok, I'm stepping down from my soap box now. All this 'talking' is makin' my feet hurt!

JudyS on 6/17/03 at 13:38 (122128)

Dorothy I agree with you re: talk radio so much. Sometimes I go so far as to think that these guys are downright dangerous - free speech or not. They have the luxury of having millions of ears at their disposal for them to empty their angry diatribe in to. And so, so many of the brains between those 'ears' think that, if these guys are on radio, they must be 'right'. I truly believe that sometimes talk radio has far too much power in shaping some attitude in this country. An example: the other day I heard a local radio guy say that 'most women want Hillary in the White House just because she's a woman'. Such a horrid generalization only serves to incite those who choose not to investigate many sides of an issue. In no time at all several fellas called in with their agreements - fellas who may or may not have educated themselves on all political or women's issues. What was really sickening was when a woman called in in response to that statement....and she said she didn't think a woman should be in the White House because of 'that PMS factor'!
Two steps forward, one step back....

marie on 6/17/03 at 14:21 (122134)

Take care of your footsies.

Leon S. on 6/17/03 at 16:02 (122140)

Marie,
The one comment that I would make about your story of 'Jim's' generosity is that he gave them the junk food that he bought. If he was intent on helping them by buying food that he wasn't going to eat, he really should have purchased food that was more attuned to their culture. There is something bizzare about a 300 lb. American donating a bagful of junk food to homeless Japanese people. There has been a very large increase in heart disease in Japan since their culture has been influenced by our eating habits. None of this takes away from 'Jim's' well meaning intent.

marie on 6/17/03 at 17:11 (122144)

Jim didn't give them junk food. He bought them a variety of nuts for protein, dried fish, juices, bread and fruit. Sorry I forgot to mention that he tried to hit a protein, wheat and fruits.... since they had a small vegetable garden he just wanted to make sure they had a healthy diet. Jim only bought junk food for himself.....but he didn't that day all he had were the rest of my pretzels. The Japanese don't have junk food like ours.

And yes you are correct mcDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken are everywhere. Thank goodness because it was the only food I knew for sure what it was. The Japanese live in a high paced stressed environment. Many of the homeless folks I spoke to were men that had lost their jobs and were to ashamed to return home as it was a great disgrace. The men work often 12-15 hours a day. It is a custom for men to go out drinking until 10:00 at night. Very few men are home in the evening with their families. In Tokyo it is not unusual to see men staggering around on the streets as they make their way home. Very dysfunctional to me.

It did n't seem bizarre to watch jim hand a bag of groceries to each of these men....what was bizarre was that Jim even took the time to do it. I was busy buying pretzels and looking at gardens but jim was looking for something different. His good deed may not change the world but just think what a great world it would be if we each did one good deed for someone daily.

Thanks for your thoughts, marie

Leon S. on 6/17/03 at 18:55 (122158)

Marie,
My apologies. The way I read it, it seemed that he bought them junk food. His good heart (as good as a 300 lb man's heart can be) was in the right place as well as his deed. I stand corrected.

I also agree with you about the Japanese culture. There was a period of time when we were led to believe that their culture was on a higher plane than ours and we really were barbarians in the way we approached life. However, time has shown that their dedication to 'honor' and 'pride' in all of their relationships has placed an inordinate amount of pressure on their lives to the detriment of their family and society.

marie on 6/17/03 at 19:48 (122172)

Hey that's ok I really wasn't very clear in my original post.

The Japanese are very interested in our culture. The posts on their message boards are very different from ours. They are so respectful, modest and polite that I am sure they be totally confused by us here..LOL. They know that in order to compete in the creative world of software technology they must foster individuality. This is almost unheard of. Many of the teachers are coming to us for help with discipline....suddenly they have a class full of individuals that eat at McDonalds and buy all their cloths at the Gap. They are really pulling their hair out.

Japan does lead the world in math and science at the high school level. But we lead the world in college level math and sciences.....that is why so many people from foreign countries attend our universities. I don't really see us in competition with Japan but it's hard not to compare. We have so much to learn from each other. It just takes an open mind.

thanks again, marie

Dan on 6/21/03 at 01:07 (122509)

>As far as getting into trouble- I invented the word- If you look up >trouble in the dictionary you will see my scowling picture. I thrive on >trouble- it is my adrenaline.

So what you're saying is that you're basically a happy, well-adjusted person. Good for you! What's your secret?