Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Big Fat Plantar Fascia

Posted by Mary M on 6/14/03 at 01:15 (121835)

I had ESWT (Dornier) three days ago-- so far, so good. My foot feels much better, although I know the full effects may take several months to manifest. Still some ankle stiffness first thing out of bed in the morning, and a little of the same when I get up after prolonged sitting, but nothing like the agonized hopping I've endured for 2 1/2 years. The ultrasound scan during the procedure revealed that my plantar fascia thickness was a whopping 8.5! Both the doctor and the technician were impressed-- the worst they'd ever seen was 9 on a male patient, so I hold the dubious honor of the worst female case. Well, no wonder it hurt so much-- at least they know for sure I wasn't malingering!

Re: My Big Fat Plantar Fascia

Peter R on 6/14/03 at 08:58 (121849)

Plantar Fascii thickness is not always an indication of the severity of pain. Mine measures 11.5mm at the insertion on my right foot and 10.3mm on the left and I have no pain at all at any time. It may be from doing years of very heavy leg presses( at times in excess of 500#)while weight lifting.

Mary M on 6/14/03 at 12:26 (121860)

OK, but then again, Peter, you're a guy. And I can't say I've ever done a single leg press in my life. But I'm glad your big fat plantar fascia doesn't give you any grief-- count your blessings! Mine certainly did, so I'm looking forward to continued improvement after the ESWT.

Peter R on 6/14/03 at 14:29 (121869)

I didn't mean to diminsh the severity of your condition. I just wanted to point out that the thickness is not always proportional to the severity of the discomfort. Hope you have a significant recovery.

dave r on 6/15/03 at 09:57 (121915)

Thats pretty thick Mary. Mine was 10.5 on my left and 5.7 on the right. With my right foot hurting the most.Go figure