Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Poolside footwear?

Posted by Aly R. on 6/16/03 at 11:29 (121996)

Can anyone recommend poolside footwear that would offer support & cushioning for PF? I want to take up swimming, but I can't imagine walking barefoot from the changing room to the pool! Any recommendations?

Re: Poolside footwear?

HilaryG on 6/16/03 at 12:44 (121998)

There a re waterproof Birkenstocks such as the Barbados. They might work for you.

BevN. on 6/16/03 at 15:16 (122014)

Birkenstocks Haiti are waterproof and for the shower or the beach or poolside and very comfortable.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/16/03 at 19:53 (122043)

If you can get the Birkenstocks mentioned in the other posts, they are the best bet.

But if you can't, try something with a really thick foam sole. I have some plastic Nike sandals with foam soles that are really thick. They have no orthotic shape to them at all; just a flat, thick foam sole. They cost $20 and I use them as shower shoes, but I take them off immediately when I leave the shower and slip into my Birkenstocks. I don't even wear them outside the shower itself. They might work at the pool, but just to walk straight from the changing room to the pool and no dawdling! LOL

Whatever you do, DON'T try to chance it and go barefoot. Going barefoot in the shower really set me back.

Carole C

Aly R. on 6/17/03 at 08:47 (122089)

Thanks Carole.

Do you find you are able to wear all Birkenstocks, or just certain ones? I've only tried them once, (not sure which type) and couldn't even walk 2 steps in the store without severe pain...

Suzanne D on 6/17/03 at 11:32 (122104)

Hi, Aly! I have no experience with the shoes I am about to describe, but when I went for a hair appointment yesterday, one of the hairdressers was wearing TEVA sandals. I commented on them because they looked like flip-flops but I could see that they had a shallow heelcup and seemed to be shaped like her foot. She said she loved them and ordered them from the internet. (If you type in teva.com, you will find their site.) She had found them in Louisville (the nearest big city to us), but she said there were many more choices from the internet site. She said they conform to your foot after wearing and that she can stand on tile all day and fix hair and be comfortable while wearing them. (Of course she is young and has no foot problems that I know of!)

Since you asked about poolside footwear, I thought of these shoes. I did do a search here under the name Teva and found many posts about them. Most were written a few years ago by people who no longer post here. There were mixed reviews of their worth, but more people seemed to like them than not. So I thought I would mention them to you.

Do any of you readers have experience with Teva sandals/shoes?

Suzanne :)

Dorothy on 6/17/03 at 12:11 (122111)

I am inserting myself in this conversation but I wanted to let people know that http://www.footsmart.com is now selling the SOFTBED Birkenstocks on their website. I have not tried them, but several people on heelspurs.com have praised them and they have been kind of hard to locate. So, here is an easy way to try them. Footsmart.com is a very nice company to do business with. I have purchased from them and think they are exceptionally good folks. No relationship to me, other than I have been a customer.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/17/03 at 19:27 (122168)

Aly, I haven't tried to wear all Birkenstocks. I haven't ever tried on any of their waterproof models, because my Birkenstock store didn't have any in stock when I was looking for shower shoes.

Most PF sufferers find that the Birkenstock Arizona is a huge help in dealing with PF. This is not a waterproof model, though. A very few people do say that they don't like them, but I wonder if they've really given them a chance by being properly fitted to a 'classic footbed' model like the Arizona or Florida, first, and then by breaking them in very slowly.

When I first touched Birkenstocks, they scared me to death because of the hard surface and I wouldn't have anything to do with them for weeks. Once I gave them a fair chance, well.... I have ended up with five pairs and could not manage without them. I'm wearing my Birkenstock Granadas right now.

Carole C

Dorothy on 6/17/03 at 22:57 (122191)

I just posted a note about some effective things I have been using recently. One of them is a shoe called Klogs. It is sold by http://www.footsmart.com and they are really nice folks to do business with; they sell lots of things that are foot-helpful, including shoes. These Klogs are extremely comfortable, waterproof (polyurethane) and not very expensive, relatively speaking. They come with a removable insole, although the insole they come with is very comfortable. I did remove it and inserted the PowerStep insole that people here recommend quite often and this is a terrific combination. So, these Klogs with the PowerStep are great and the Klogs could certainly be used poolside or showering or whatever, but they are also cute on the street. Lots of sizes, widths, and colors. Dorothy

Lori on 6/22/03 at 15:31 (122623)

I used to wear Tevas relegiously in the summer and loved them. But since I developed PF, they don't have enough arch support. Instead, I went to an outdoor store and found Chaco shoes. They are much like Tevas, but they have very good arch support. Also, they tighten on your feet to give really good hold. How can I say this? They keep your arch in the right place. They are very comfortable and the only shoes I can wear without my orthotics.