Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Radio Frequency Lesioning

Posted by john h on 6/16/03 at 14:15 (122006)

Was not one of the guys going to have this on his foot for PF on the 11th of June. Anyone heard anything?

Re: Radio Frequency Lesioning

BrianJ on 6/16/03 at 21:53 (122056)

John --

I think Monte is having it on June 20th. He promised to give us a report afterwards.

monte on 6/17/03 at 08:02 (122088)

John....I am having this done on Friday June 20th with Dr Cozzarelli in NJ at 8:00am

I will give a full report that day and then as time progresses. I can take up to 2 weeks to feel the full effect.

Mar on 6/17/03 at 09:15 (122092)

Monte -
I've been thinking about you all week and even said a prayer for you. Good luck and keep us posted -- Mar

John Holt on 6/17/03 at 10:45 (122099)

Good luck Monte. You are the first person I know that will have this procedure. If it work I may find myself back in New Jersey. I can drive from BWI up to Dr. Z'S. In the fog. Do you know how they guide the needle to where ever they are going to treat?

monte on 6/17/03 at 11:00 (122100)

Hey John..Dr Cozz has performed this procedure over 300 times for PF. No one has ever NOT experience some type of relief. But keep in mind, I have atypical PF....heels and arches. But I do have 'hot spots' that hurt more than others or that get the most pressure when weight bearring.
For up to 2 weeks prior to the treatment, the patient must locate and mark all the pain spots on the foot. Then, on treatment day, Dr Cozz with confirm the spots and maybe find more, then the probe is inserted. I cnnot remember how it is monitored...but I will know on Friday....He told me, but I forgot.

Here is a small write up about the procedure'

This procedure is reserved for only severe and resistant cases of heel pain that will not respond to all conservative treatment. The procedure can be performed on resistant cases of Plantar Fascitiis, Achilles Tendonitis, Neuroma/Neuritis and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.

RadioFrequency Lesioning is a minimally invasive procedure. RadioFrequency does not require stitches, skin incisions or bandages. RadioFrequency doesn't disable you and it does not involve an extensive period of healing. It is not associated with the many complications and risks that are associated with surgery. The procedure is done an out patient basis and you can return to shoe gear and work the next day.

Prior to the procedure, the heel is examined and we locate all the very sensitive areas of pain around the heel. There are usually 5-6 areas that are very tender and we call them the 'hot spots'. We treat only those painful areas with RadioFrequency. The RadioFrequency probe, approximately the size of a needle, is placed through the skin into your heel in the area of pain. Wile under IV sedation, the tip of the probe heats up to 87 degrees Celsius. It is kept in the area for 90 seconds. This in essence decrease the deep pain sensation in that area, the size of the probe's tip. The nerve endings are desensitized in these specific locations, thus eliminating the pain. This procedure is then performed on all the painful areas that were identified. Following the procedure, local anesthesia is injected into the treatment sites. Band-Aids are placed over the multiple puncture sites and you are able to return to shoe gear immediately following the procedure.

In most instances, complete resolution of your pain is achieved within 2 weeks following the procedure. In the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Vol. 86, No. 3 in 1997, a 92% success rate was demonstrated, treating heel pain with RadioFrequency.

Hope this helps until I can give my first hand report.

john h-moderator on 6/17/03 at 11:35 (122106)

Good post Monte: Learned more about RFL than I thought I knew. May I ask what this procedure cost and is it done in the Doctors office? Are you having one foot or both feet done?

monte on 6/17/03 at 11:39 (122107)

I am not certain of all the costs related to the procedure. I do know that Oxford covers the doctor and the treatment...but I have to pay about $1200 to the surgery center.

It is under IV sedation and I am having both feet done to save the cost of going back there again and having to pay the fee again.

john h-moderator on 6/18/03 at 09:43 (122225)

I will sure be watching your progress Monty. If it works I am sure it will be the best $1200 you ever spent.

monte on 6/18/03 at 09:49 (122226)

You are right John. I will thank God (and the Dr) for any level of pain relief that I get. I go in already knowing that I will not become pain free from this....but will get some reduction.

I also know that I will still have the PF problem and will still be waiting for it to resolve on its own...or through other ways.

I wish I had pain in ONE spot like you do and at the level that you do. I think this treatment would render you pain free.

Mine is spread out under each foot and the left foot aches and throbs alot of the time...I won'thelp that....but it should help the stabbing pain when standing.

john h-moderator on 6/18/03 at 12:10 (122242)

Monte: How long have you had PF? Did it start in both feet at the same time? How long will the procedure last? I have marked the 20th on my calendar and will be looking for your post on the 21st.

Compared to many here I am very lucky as my PF pain varies from 1-5 but mostly around 2-3. I can walk 2-3 miles, ride a bike, go shopping, etc. If I was a couch potatoe it would be no problem at all but my life has revolved around sports such as running 7 days a week, golf, playing noon time basketball, etc. When I lost these activities I sort of lost my world and I can find nothing to replace it. PF has effected many on this board in the same way. It just totally disrupts their lives as they knew it and add to that most people not even family members can grasp what you are going through and you have real problems. I would have almost preferred a heart bypass to this as you know the problem, you know how to fix it, and their is generally a cure in sight.

monte on 6/18/03 at 12:57 (122246)

John...I was the same as you. I have PF in both feet since Dec 2000. I noticed it come on after doing heavy calf raises and also wearing Sketchers sneakers and shoes....poor quality.

Since then...BAM! Pain.

I was a martial artist and a body builder and a junkie for anything physical....Not any more. I play golf here and there...I use a cart.

I never over do anything if I can help it. My wife is great at understanding me...even my 3 year old twins.

I hope that more rest, more time, age (37) and good treatment will pay off over the next few years.

Plus the RFL...that can become a permanent pain pill.

By the way John...Like you....I would rather have a surgery than this....

Rachael T. on 6/18/03 at 23:04 (122314)

I wish you success & luck in your new & upcoming treatment. And, as others, I, too, am anxious to hear the results. Good luck!