Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Misc

Posted by JudyS on 6/16/03 at 19:22 (122038)

Hello my PF friends -
I just returned from a four-day trip to San Luis Obispo to celebrate my birthday and to attend graduation for my son's girlfriend from Cal Poly there. It was a wonderful trip - John and I spent some time imbibing some brews and shooting pool with our old PF buddy Bob G (remember, he's an old-time poster who 'dropped in' on us here a couple of weeks ago).

Gosh, I'm a bit distressed to return to yet more anger here on this safe haven of a website! You know, it reminds me of a tiny, homey town that has grown in to a city. Three years ago, when I first arrived, there was virtually no angry discourse - and the one person who was habitually antagonistic was eventually disallowed, by Scott, from posting. Now we seem to get our share of posters who don't mind applying a sort of 'anything goes' philosophy just because it's the internet.

Oh well, I digress. We had a super visit with our son and a very pleasant grad celebration. His girlfriend already has a job waiting for her in Los Angeles and a pretty healty salary - my son is quite envious! He'll graduate in December and, we've been informed, will be moving to Los Angeles at that time......hmmmm, wonder why? :)

Re: Misc

marie on 6/16/03 at 22:47 (122064)

It's nice to hear from you. Yes it is sad about what happens at this board. I have to admit I was a bit upset about a couple of posters below. I am sorry if it made you feel uncomfortable.

Well on to better things...like your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

marie

Re: Birthday wishes and other thoughts...

Suzanne D on 6/17/03 at 07:40 (122084)

A belated happy birthday to you, Judy, and I am glad you had such a nice trip! You and Carole C. and I (and maybe others) share birthdays in less than a month's time!

Yes, it is distressing to come here to find more turmoil. That's how I have felt in the past few days. I try to ignore the mean-spirited posts, but it takes time to read and see what's here, and then it feels like being smacked when you read someone spew out mean words to others. My mother always told me what many of your mothers told you, 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...' I guess the anonymity of the internet makes some people brave about saying whatever they please. I wonder if they would say the same things face to face. Well, I will quit preaching...

My feet have been hurting after a couple of walks I took last week. I only walked because they had felt so good for so long, and I need the exercise. I stretched and wore the right shoes, etc., etc. After the first walk, no problems, so the next day, I took the same walk. They have been hurting ever since. Oh, well, most people here hurt more every day than I do, so I shouldn't complain. It's just discouraging when you think you're better...

Glad you're back, Judy. I was just not feeling like posting with all the turmoil, but your post made me want to write again.

Thanks!
Suzanne :)

JudyS on 6/17/03 at 12:59 (122120)

Hi Suzanne - I recently started wearing a new pair of cross-trainers that may be a bit too flat. I'm finding some familiar heel pain in one foot but I've found that if I don't do the same exercise (walk, jog, etc) two days in a row I'm OK. A day or two off between sessions seems to give that heel the time it needs to return to normal (whatever that is! :)).

Carole C in NOLA on 6/17/03 at 19:16 (122166)

Hi, and a belated happy birthday to you, Judy! Glad you are back.

Suzanne, I'm sorry to hear about your feet! It's a slow process to get back to normal activity, isn't it. I'm still doing that too. Probably next time it would be best to wait a couple of days to see how your feet do; I am pretty sure that you know this, because it seems to me that you have posted before about how feet don't always feel damage instantly and sometimes it takes a day or two.

Also, I've noticed that as I get better, it's harder to do less than I think I can do. The 'penalty' for doing too much isn't as bad, when one's feet are healthier. I am thinking and hoping that your feet will heal faster now than they would have before. I hope you don't remain too discouraged.

Like you, Suzanne, I no longer post or read on the social board very often because of all the turmoil. The instigators of it bore me; they are so busy with their own flood of posts and threads and self-importance, which has been going on steadily for the past three months. I have no interest in the mean-spirited people that have decided that their legacy on this earth is to destroy a kind, friendly message board that meant a lot to some dear people.

I post when and where it appeals to me and I feel I can do some good, and I don't when and where it doesn't.

Carole C

Re: Thanks, Judy and Carole...

Suzanne D on 6/18/03 at 17:22 (122278)

I should certainly remember that it takes our feet more than 'the next day' to let us know when we've done too much! I should have waited at least the two days you were speaking of, Judy, before I took another walk. My feet feel better, and I haven't walked again yet. I'll try to spread it out over more time when I try again.

You're right about several things, Carole. It is easier to do more than you should when you've improved. And, like you, I am trying to post when and where I think it will do some good and leave the rest alone.

I'm getting my 17 year old daughter ready to leave Saturday for a 5-week Governor's Scholars Program at a university about three hours from here. I am proud of her for being selected as it is an honor and also means scholarships later on in college. She will not be allowed to come home during that time, and we are allowed to come only once to see her on the designated 'Parents' Day', so I will surely miss her! It is going to be hard on me, but of course it is very good for her, so I have encouraged her to go.

Thanks to both of you for your comments and support.
Suzanne :)

Re: Thanks, Judy and Carole...

Carole C in NOLA on 6/18/03 at 19:58 (122292)

Suzanne,

What a wonderful honor and opportunity for your daughter! Congratulations. Does this mean it will be just you and your husband at home? Having so much privacy could be fun.

Carole C