Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Deletion

Posted by john h on 6/16/03 at 21:28 (122053)

I have detleted Ultra Conserative's post for obvious reasons. It is in poor taste and should be offensive to anyone of any persuasion.

Re: Deletion

marie on 6/16/03 at 22:11 (122061)

Thank you

Sharon W on 6/17/03 at 11:27 (122103)

John,

Thank you. Although actually, if he meant to call ME a 'liberal scum bag,' I am quite amused... Noone has called me 'liberal' in quite a while!

Sharon
:))

Re: Sharon

marie on 6/17/03 at 12:12 (122112)

Sharon,

I think it was Peter that called all liberals 'scumbags'. I was sad to see that my concern for another person had fueled a platform of hate. I would be just as offended if someone had called one of our more conservative freinds here by the same name. And I surely appreciate those who spoke up. In fact I would defend them tooth and nail. I am sad to see that Peter's post remains. It does not speak well of this board.

You a liberal....that's a stitch! I do know that you are a fair minded person whom I respect and it really doesn't matter to me if your conservative, liberal or swing both ways...LOL. I think Leon took alot of the heat about being a liberal.....Oh well!

odios

Sharon W on 6/17/03 at 12:46 (122118)

Marie,

Both posters used the term in question, and I found that phrase quite uncalled-for regrdless of what the poster called himself or who was being addressed. I was just remarking on the humor in the situation...

Sharon
:)

JudyS on 6/17/03 at 13:06 (122123)

Sharon - your note here reminds me of an argument my husband and I were having with a neighbor. John and I are pretty much conservative people excepting that I tend to do a lot of male-oriented activities like playing ball, building decks, installing sprinkler systems, knocking down walls.......
well anyway, he was angry that we'd asked county officials to intervene with his use of his property for an auto repair business, among other things. He was shouting at us, etc. etc. At one point in the argument he shook his fist at us and yelled 'You @#$%^ liberals make me sick!'
John and I just burst out laughing because the label was so, so off base!

marie on 6/17/03 at 13:26 (122126)

Yes I am with you....it was very humorous indeed. Couldn't get my smileys to work. I just wanted to point out that it was still inappropriate. Thanks Sharon.

wendyn on 6/17/03 at 18:53 (122156)

Never read the post in question, but I think I was once accused of being overly sensitive (or something like that) on this board.

Had me in stiches.

There are many who may accuse me of being under-senstive...but rarely over!

Leon S. on 6/17/03 at 19:10 (122164)

I think that Ultra Conservative and Peter are the same person. I didn't look at it as taking heat about being a liberal. As I said in one of my replies, there were some things that I agreed with...Have any of you listened to Michael Savage on the radio? He is on in the early evening throughout the country. He also has a TV show on Saturday afternoons on MSNBC at 5PM edt. I don't know if it is repeated later in the different time zones. He is what some people will call a 'raving conservative'. However, he is more of an entertainer and will sometimes go into rants similar to how Peter was ranting and that's why I made reference to him (Peter) getting his opinions from talk radio. The difference is that Michael Savage is humorous and entertaining and sometimes persuasive...I frequently have found myself changing my opinions on several issues after listening to him. People have to remember when listening to talk radio that first and formost, these people are being paid to be entertaining. If they have to exagerate their views to do that and get listeners, that's what they do. The problem is that there is a large part of the audience that takes them too seriously and thrives on the rhetoric because it sounds good and relieves them of having to think for themselves. I think that's what happened to Peter.

Re: Deleting posts

wendyn on 6/17/03 at 19:10 (122165)

Just so there is no misunderstanding...

Scottr did provide me with a passcode to delet threads. I have never used it, and I'm not entirely sure what I did with it.

The only time I would be inclined to try to use it (if I could find it) is if I happened to see a post that was obviously spam (i.e. - send me $5 and you'll get a million) or offensive beyond doubt (pretty rare here).

I can't be relied upon as a moderator, since I'm on the board so little now (sometimes 5 minutes a day).

I sent scott an email about the problems on the ESWT board - asking him to please follow up. I did not offer him any opinion on who was at fault, or what should happen - because I simply did not have the time (or the interest) to read all of the related posts.

While I do understand the need to deal with extreme situations (and defend themselves when appropriate to do so), people DO need to understand that there are those who absolutely THRIVE on creating this type of chaos on a board. They do it for kicks (and yes you know who they are).

The best way to deal with the 'flamers' or 'trolls' is to ignore them. You'd be amazed at how fast they'll give up and go somewhere else. To pay attention just feeds it (very much like dealing with a two year-old's temper tantrum)...best to just keep doing what you're doing and don't give it more time or energy than it deserves.

marie on 6/17/03 at 20:02 (122174)

You're probably right. I didn't catch that Peter and ULTRA are the same person.

Once upon a time I was a Republican. It was the talk shows that you speak of that swayed me to become a Democrat. I just don't go for that type of media. I am still fairly conservative in many ways...as the test that Richard posted may have revealed. I don't think the Republicans have given much thought about how some of these media folks have affected them adversly.

Well enough of that.

later, marie

JudyS on 6/17/03 at 20:17 (122177)

Excellent points Wendy. Earlier I read Scott's response re: the issue on the ESWT board and it made me rethink my own knee-jerk reaction upon my return.
In contrast to my opinion a few months ago, I suggested to Scott that more disclaimers/controls be instituted here, along with a committee of three or so to democratically decide when a post should be deleted.
But Scott changed my mind - his post on the ESWT board is heavily emphatic regarding free speech and how he relates it to this vehicle and his own philosophy.
There can be any number of disclaimers and controls here and there will still be people interested only in creating havoc.
Your answer is the same one I'd mentioned a few times before I got too uptight about this whole issue this week - that is to simply ignore posts that make one uncomfortable. Period. It's so easy. And for anyone who is insulted by such posts, it's important to remember that there are more positive and supportive posts.
Every single time any of us responds to insults, we are fanning flames and giving that sort of poster exactly what he/she is looking for.

Pam S. on 6/17/03 at 22:32 (122187)

Just for the record....I could care less about any other person's goofy posts like that. I would not give it the time of day. I only read what I can learn from and what relates to my issues. OR if I read something and I think I can help someone.

I know I speak for all of you, I am just so grateful for these boards and all the helpful info. It would take alot to spoil it. pam

marie on 6/18/03 at 07:55 (122210)

Yes you're probably right. I seem to respond to the posts when they are really out of line. the problem is that Scott doesn't read the posts so he has know idea just how ridiculous some folks get. It is my natural reaction to to say something. I am not one of those folks who just walks by. When we had some kids walk into our school after the gun fiasco we had I wasn't cotent to stay in the office (as our vice principal did) and wait for the cops to come....I had to know who they were after and then I went to the room of the kid they wanted and stayed with him until the cops came. I don't know what I would do should they have had a gun but I just can't let stuff like that go by. I suppsoe I could make a really ugly face....at them. Another time after I dropped my kids off at school I saw what I thought was the remains of a vehicle in someones front yard. It was dark still but then i realized it was an accident that had just happened. I slammed on my brakes in pulled in the drive way.....I couldn't tell which was the front or the back of the car it was so smashed. I found the occupants.....and checked them out....since I smelled gas and a small fire had just sprung up I somehow carried them (a woman and her 12 year old son) out of harms way.......you would not believe how many folks just drove by including my husband. I guess it's just my nature to just do it. Sometimes I get in trouble but that is part of going from a triple A+ personality to a happier B+ personality.

So I will try not to respond to inflammatory comments but I can't guarantee that I always will. Thanks so much for your input.

marie

I have

john h-moderator on 6/18/03 at 09:28 (122222)

Well put Judy.

john h-moderator on 6/18/03 at 09:33 (122223)

Wendy: You were once accused of forcing Scott to remove your picture from the board and replacing it with your sea going picutre.

john h-moderator on 6/18/03 at 12:15 (122243)

Marie: I have made a copy of this post and placed it on a bulleting board above my computer. Type A+ always remain type A+ there is no going back.

Necee on 6/18/03 at 13:00 (122248)

There are those who thrive on this sort of behavior......and you know who you are. All this bickering back and forth reminds me of grade school, you want to have the last word!! If you don't like or agree with ones post here.....IGNORE IT, and move on! Strong personalities are just an excuse for faning the flames.

Happy trails...

Necee

marie on 6/18/03 at 16:33 (122269)

:)

marie on 6/18/03 at 16:38 (122270)

So maybe I should take a break from here. Don't want to stay were I'm not welcome. Thanks for all the fun times. I'll be back another time. Have a good summer all.

later marie

Re: contagious

Sharon W on 6/18/03 at 17:32 (122280)

Losing special posters here seems to be contagious

Sharon

john h on 6/18/03 at 20:58 (122305)

Marie: who said you were not welcome and where did you get that idea?

Re: none

marie on 6/19/03 at 10:16 (122343)

Just taking a break.....now no more questions you're messing up my plan to be a B+. I'll be around. :)

Someone posted something about forgiveness....I am doing that. 'In my hour of darkness Mother Mary comes to me speaking words of wisdom,'Let it be.' P. McCartney

john h on 6/19/03 at 15:03 (122364)

One of my favorites.

Kathy G on 6/20/03 at 13:15 (122446)

I wasn't aware that Paul knew about SDO's!