Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who wants Dr. Ed to continue posting on these boards?

Posted by Sharon W on 6/17/03 at 12:43 (122117)

Dr. Ed has answered posts on ALL of the message boards, and has helped most of us with his clear and detailed answers to our questions, at one time or another. Now, Dr. Ed's future with these message boards seems to depend on people e-mailing Scott to support him.

Dr. Ed was recently accused of something by a poster on the EWST board, something that could damage his professional career if these charges are brought to the attention of the FDA -- as one or two posters suggested. Dr. Ed he is calling for some kind of restriction put on, at least, posters making statements that may be libelous (or would that be slanderous)? Dr. Ed is talking about leaving us, permanently, if nothing is done.

ScottR's comments on the subject included:

'if you think a post or poster is out of line, please email me, or include 'scottr' (no space before the r) in a post where you are explaining to a poster why their posts are out of line. posts with 'scottr' in them get sent to my email. my email is (email removed) ... my decision these days will be based on votes from long-term members about a post or poster.'

'The standards for censoring are clearly stated and are this: 'Be Nice' libel and spam and off-topic posts and many other things fall under that category. heelspurs.com LLC liability increases if it censors or edits posts... i am willing to do as most people here request and to limit 1st amendment rights of the people here for the sake of the board.....but i have not received any request to my email box to remove or edit any post or poster in i think months...' (That isn't his complete post. To see Scott's complete remarks, or to read up on what is going on with this, check the ESWT board.)

I figured there were probably a lot of people that Dr. Ed has helped and supported through their foot pain this past couple of years, who are competely unaware of what's happening on the ESWT board and do not know that because of problems there, we are at risk of losing Dr. Ed. I think as many of us as possible ought to know what is happening so they will at least have the have the OPPORTUNITY to speak their minds, before we lose Dr. Ed forever.

Once again: Scott has said that his decision will depend on the e-mails he gets, so if you care whether or not Dr. Ed continues answering questions on these boards, DON'T answer my post -- instead, please register your 'vote' by e-mailing him at scott@heelspurs.com and telling Scott what you think.

Sharon
:-s

Re: Who wants Dr. Ed to continue posting on these boards?

Sharon W on 6/17/03 at 13:01 (122122)

It looks like Scott was writing a post on the ESWT board at the same time I wrote that last one. It appears he has already made his decision.

Sharon

Necee on 6/17/03 at 18:28 (122149)

I would like to see Dr Ed stay!!
He's a wonderful asset to this board. He has lots of knowledge to share and is always eager to help. I have always appreciated his time and care he gives to others on this board.
To those who disagree with his conservative approach....I'd say simply, just don't read his post, nobody is forced to read or respond to these messages.

Happy trails...

Necee

carmen h on 6/17/03 at 18:40 (122152)

Dr. Ed has NEVER been anything but wonderful to me in the two years I ahve been visiting this board. He has been kind enough to email me privately ANY time I have asked him a question...he's a wonderful man.
this whole things seems stupid to me.

Re: FREE DR ED FREE DR ED FREE DR ED

BG on 6/18/03 at 10:35 (122230)

I say bring him back. The man has a vast knowledge of feet and offers much of his time, which is money. He could be out on a golf course or a boat instead.

Re: FREE DR ED FREE DR ED FREE DR ED

Tammie on 6/18/03 at 18:46 (122285)

I already sent my vote to Scott. I believe all Dr.s should be protected as they give only out of there kindness and there own free time. That alone earns alot of respect from me because just HOW many Dr.s or PODs or whatever will do something out of there heart there love of there profession of making people be aware of things concerning our feet! I do hope this is settled in a mature and timely fashion. So that things may get back to being home like here. I hate to visit and find so much up roar and it seems to come from same ones and they are so very smart if only they could keep there heart in and let there head forget the games they could really be able to provide alot of information. Providing the head games stop! Hi to all and good Luck!

Max K on 6/18/03 at 23:59 (122315)

Sharon, you said:

'Now, Dr. Ed's future with these message boards seems to depend on people e-mailing Scott to support him.'

I think you may have misunderstood what Scott R said. He said:

'[...]my decision these days will be based on votes from long-term members about a post or poster.'

Scott R was talking about the requirements to have somebody censored or removed from the board. I don't think Dr Ed needs any votes of support, nobody questioned his value here, except for some highly questionable, highly technical, anonymous accusations on the ESWT board. I suggest that the way to deal with that is to require posters to register, so that their identity can be tracked by an administrator should this become necessary. Most message boards I visit require registration. I thought that was standard these days, to better control and monitor troublemakers, especially the kind that thrive on anonymity. I also think these message boards perhaps should be upgraded to the 'ultimate bulletin board' system if possible.

Here is a bodybuilding message board that uses the UBB system:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=d1244342fc2d4dd33e38c19540644f09&threadid=133242 . Notice at the bottom right corner of every post there is an option to 'report this post to a moderator' and also the IP address of the poster is automatically logged, and there are numerous additional desirable features as well, such as automatically displaying how many times somebody has posted, so if you're a long-time member, you have built up some credibility, and it will show up in the sheer number of your posts (in addition to name recognition).

Max

Sharon W on 6/19/03 at 00:38 (122316)

Max,

Don't worry about it. I did understand that the decision to be made was something else, not whether we like Dr. Ed or not. (It was much more complicated than that.)

Scott has ALREADY made his decision, anyway. Scott also told us to stop posting about the message board itself. Let's not clutter this board with pointless discussion.

Sharon