Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

and why wear shoes ALL the time

Posted by Rebecca R on 6/17/03 at 16:12 (122141)

Another question: My doc told me I had to wear shoes all the time. She said I can't even wear Birkenstock sandals right now. I have PF and achilles enthesopathy. I got a pair of Birkenstocks today (Arizona softbed) that I had ordered before she said I couldn't wear them, but I tried them anyway and my feet haven't felt this good in a long, long time. What is the benefit of wearing full shoes all the time?

Re: and why wear shoes ALL the time

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/17/03 at 18:52 (122155)

I USUALLY don't like patients wearing sandals, but Birkenstock's are the exception. Birkenstocks are unique for sandals since they give so much support. I would find it difficult to believe that your doctor would tell you not to wear the Birkenstock's, if you tell her that you're feet are feeling comfortable. I can't see any harm in wearing a comfortable, well made sandal such as the Birkenstock. I usually recommend Merrell's for my patients and have gotten excellent feedback. I wear Merrell's in the office and in the operating room and I find that I feel better with Merrell's (jungle-moc) than with my running shoes.

Rebecca R on 6/17/03 at 21:43 (122182)

I talked to my doctor today specifically about the Birks and she said they will be great for when I am well, but not now. She wants me to wear a walking boot all the time on the left foot (which hurts the most) for two months, then switch it to the right. I am having a hard time complying with that. She said it is the fastest way to get better, along with PT. Walking with it hurts my back so I have to get crutches. I question this boot thing, but probably only because I really don't want to wear it. I have lost 80 pounds in the last year and a half and I am worried about gaining again with this limited mobility. Also, I help my mom take care of my dad (he can barely walk), and that's going to be hard, if not impossible, to do with crutches. However, that is why I wanted treatment that would bring me the quickest relief.

Thanks for both your responses. I will have to save my money though, before I can try those Powersteps.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/18/03 at 22:05 (122310)

Rebecca,

I sure hope that the walking boot helps you. Maybe your doctor doesn't think you are getting enough rest without the walking boot. PF often does respond well to rest, among other treatments.

You CAN maintain your weight, even if you can't walk around much. You are really facing a challenge, though. If you can just try to continue to eat like you did when you were losing the 80 pounds, I do not think you will gain.

Like you, I lost 80 pounds during the year and a half before I got PF, and I managed to maintain my weight loss for a year after getting PF and resting almost all the time. I was scared to death that I would gain back that weight because my resolve was crumbling right about the time that I got PF. I wasn't able to actually LOSE any more weight while resting with PF, because I was depressed and sometimes ate injudiciously, but I kept trying and at least I maintained. You can maintain too, but you will need to keep working at it.

If you lose confidence in your doctor or podiatrist, I hope that you consult with another one. I agree with John H that Birkenstocks seem to have helped more people on these message boards than just about anything else. So, your doctor's statements seem very peculiar to me.

Carole C