Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT done today

Posted by Don on 6/18/03 at 11:41 (122235)

I had ESWT done this morning. The doc used the Dornier unit. Went in not really knowing what to expect pain wise and was suprised. The only discomfort I had was the shot to numb the foot. 20 minutes later, I was on my way home. Right now there is a little tingling in my toes but the rest is numb. Not sure if this is going to help me, but my doctor seems to think it will. Will keep posting with my progress.

Re: ESWT done today

Jen L on 6/19/03 at 09:54 (122340)

Hi Don,
Thank you for taking the time to post on your ESWT treatment. I am sure many people would like to know about the result. I hope you have a fast and satisfactory recovery.
If on your next posting you could tell us more about your pre-ESWT condition such as whether you had classic pf symptoms, any ultrasound test result, pain level, length of time with pf etc, it would be very helpful. Also did you get any coverage from your insurance, and what's the insurance company? If you posted before, sorry about my asking again. Then we can search and find it.

Don on 6/20/03 at 09:09 (122424)

Ok, here's my story. I found out I had pf about a year ago. Went to the doctor because I was having pain in my heel. She recomended that I go to see a foot doctor. I was then told I had pf. He took x-rays and said I have a couple heel spurs also, or as he put it, a couple of whoppers. He did the injection thing about four times over the next six or seven months with little or no results. Did tons of stretching. He then decided to try the hard insoles for my shoes. Those didn't help. While that was being done, he tried some Celebrex and a steriod, none of which seemed to help. Since I'm of my feet all day at work, I'm a cook, I was in alot of pain. My doctor said I was running out of options. He doesn't do the ESWT but his partner in the office does. He referred me to his partner and the rest is history.

Anyway, I had it done two day ago. and the pain is almost gone. This is a big change in what I'm used to. I hope this answers the questions in your last post.

Peter R on 6/21/03 at 07:47 (122522)

Do not be discouraged if you have some or all of the pain return. At 2 days post treatment you may stillbe experiencing some the analgesic effect that the treatment imparts. The return of the pain may occur, but what you want to experience is a gradual and continual dimuniton of the symptoms over time. This is the best indication that the ESWT therapy has been effective.