Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

LATERAL FOOT PAIN

Posted by SABRINA C. on 6/18/03 at 11:41 (122236)

DEAR DOCTORS;

I AM 37 YRS. OLD AND DESPERATELY SEEKING HOPE AND SOUND MEDICAL ADVICE.

ON FEB 10, 2003 I HAD RIGHT HEEL SPUR REMOVED AND PLANTAR FASCIA RELEASE, DUE TO TERRIBLE HEEL PAIN. SURGERY WAS MY LAST RESORT AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING. I ASKED ALL THE RIGHT QUESTIONS AND RECEIVED A 2ND OPINION.

I WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE A SIMPLE PROCEDURE WITH A 4-6 WEEK HEALING TIME. WELL FOUR MONTHS LATER, NEW PROBLEMS HAVE ARRISED.

THE DOCTOR RELEASED THE FASCIA 3 CENTIMETERS. SINCE THEN MY PINKY TOE NO LONGER ADDUCTS AND MY LATERAL BAND HURTS. SOME DAYS ARE LESS PAINFUL THAN OTHERS, BUT IT IS STILL CHRONIC.
I'M STILL IN PHYSICAL THERAPY AND WHERE ORTHOTICS.

MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU ARE:
WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP OR GET RID OF THIS PAIN?
WILL THIS BE PERMANENT?
IS THERE ANY OTHER SAFE PROCEDURE AVAILABLE TO STOP PAIN?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME ON THIS MATTER. I AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE.

SABRINA G.C.

Re: LATERAL FOOT PAIN

dave r on 6/18/03 at 15:43 (122266)

Sabrina, i am not a doctor. But a search on this site will give you lots of imformation about lateral pain(Cuboid Syndrome).That may be a good start for you until one of the doctors respond.

Dr. Z on 6/18/03 at 16:12 (122268)

Hi
This is a common problem with pf releases. Here are some of the things that can help this problem. I will tell you that it could take anywhere from six months to one year to resolve this problem. Orthosis with posting along the entire lateral aspect of the inserts. Boot cast. Taping 'Physical Therapy. NSAID. Time and orthosis are two big treatments for this . It can go away but in some cases it may be permenent . The fact you had very little release is in your favor for a long but complete recovery

SABRINA G.C. on 6/19/03 at 11:09 (122349)

DEAR DOCTOR,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I FEEL HOPEFUL ABOUT MY RECOVERY.

WHAT DOES 'NSAID' STAND FOR?

SINCERELY,
SABRINA

dave r on 6/19/03 at 11:14 (122351)

Non - steroid anti inflamatories.......Like advil, aspirin..

SABRINA G.C. on 6/19/03 at 11:36 (122353)

DEAR DR. Z.;

I HAD PREVIOUSLY INFORMED YOU THE PLANTAR FASCIA WAS RELEASED 3 CENTIMETERS. I JUST READ THE O.R. REPORT AND IT STATES THE DOCOTOR RELEASED 40% OF THE P.F..

IS THIS CONSIDERED 3CM. OR MORE?
IS THE 40% RELEASE STILL CONSIDERED VERY LITTLE RELEASE?

AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME ON THIS MATTER. PLEASE ADVISE.

SINCERELY,
SABRINA G.C.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/19/03 at 15:46 (122375)

Sabrina:

You may want to do a search on this site since a fair amount has been written about lateral column syndrome which is a common complication of plantar fascial release surgery.

I would not be overly concerned about what percentage of the PF was released at this point but focus on treatment of the problem. Treatment includes manipulation of the calcaneocuboid joint, injection of that joint, taping, PT, orthotics with good lateral column support.

Ed

Dr. Z on 6/19/03 at 21:03 (122404)

Hi
IT IS VERY HARD TO ESTIMATE HOW MUCH WAS CUT AND IF IT WAS TOO MUCH

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/20/03 at 13:44 (122456)

Dr. Z:

Interestingly, I see patients with lateral column syndrome with various amounts of the plantar fascia cut. That is why I am not convinced that those percentages really matter.

Ed