Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

couple questions

Posted by tammy s on 6/18/03 at 19:50 (122289)

I have returned to work (12 hours shifts) and my feet are SORE. I had EWST 6 weeks ago. My questions are 1. Is it harmful, or delaying the recovery if I take NSAIDS on a regular basis? ( The Shockwave instructions said don't use them) 2. Is icing ok when they hurt bad? 3. Are birkenstock sandals enough support for getting around the house and errand running?
( I wear my walking shoes and orthotics during work ) I really want this to be sucessful and I don't want to make mistakes in my recovery period.
Thanks to all who respond.

Re: couple questions

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/18/03 at 20:52 (122304)

Tammy:

There is no general agreement on the NSAIDS issue but I feel that it is okay to take them 6 weeks out from ESWT. Icing is okay. Birkenstocks have enough support for most patients but not for everyone - something one needs to query the doctor familiar with their foot type and biomechanics.

Ed

tammy s on 6/18/03 at 20:59 (122306)

Thank you Dr. Davis for your advice. Tammy

Peter R on 6/21/03 at 07:41 (122521)

I am not a doctor but I disagree with Dr Ed on the NSAID use. Because it is believed that the process by which ESWT aleviates PF is an inflamatory one I think that that the use of NSAID's are contraindicated as long as the healing process is in effect.

Tony G on 7/10/03 at 17:12 (123978)

I have bursitis in both hips. I take oxycontin for the pain. Is there a problem using this medication?