Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks from Germany

Posted by Joy S. on 6/19/03 at 08:11 (122327)

Hello folks. Has anyone had trouble with the GoBuyEurope site sending your order? I ordered two pair of Birks from them nine weeks ago and still haven't received them. I have e-mailed the company three times and they won't respond. I paid for them weeks ago on my credit card so I know they got the order. Thanks.

Re: Birks from Germany

Suzanne D on 6/21/03 at 20:20 (122587)

Joy, I hope you get your shoes soon! I ordered a pair from Germany almost two years ago and another pair last fall. Both came in the expected time with no problems. I do know they seem to have changed their internet site some since then but am sorry to read that you have had trouble with delivery.

I had hoped to order another pair before the end of summer. Even more than the advantage of cheaper prices, I like the fact that one can order several different shoes with the soft footbed as compared to a couple of styles here.

Let us know when they arrive, if you don't mind.

Good luck!
Suzanne :)

Re: Joy, any word on your shoes yet?

Suzanne D on 6/26/03 at 16:20 (123009)

I hope you have heard something by now or better yet have received your order!

I am really wanting to order a pair of soft footbed shoes from Germany as they have many different styles and colors to chose from compared to just a few that can be ordered or found here in the states. But I am concerned about your not receiving your order.

Please let us know when you hear something!

Thanks,

Lynn B on 6/26/03 at 19:45 (123024)

Hi. I just recevied my 'high arch' birkenstocks and so far I am getting used to them.(had them on a couple of hours today) I did feel a few twinges today and took them right off and went back into the NB's.(they are my safe shoes)but all in all I think they are going to work out. They are not the sexiest sandal I've seen (very limited styles) but they make my feet fairly unaware of my PF.

Lynn

Suzanne D on 6/26/03 at 20:02 (123029)

That's great to hear, Lynn! Anything that makes your feet fairly unaware of your PF is a good thing!

I know what you mean about not being the cutest shoes in the world, but if they help, they are worth their weight in gold.

I am much better after two years of PF, but recently I bought some Clark shoes on sale, thinking perhaps every once in a while I could wear something beside Birks and SAS shoes. But after just a few minutes, I went back to my good old stand-bys. I'll try them again another time, but for now, I'll stick to what I know helps me.

I hope you have continuted good luck with the Birks!

Re: Clarks

Carole C in NOLA on 6/26/03 at 22:50 (123038)

Oh, Suzanne! I love Clark's and wore Clark sandals before I had PF, though I don't have any at the moment. The style that I liked had three buckled straps sort of like a Florida, and a heel strap too. How disappointing it must have been that you can't wear your Clark's now. I'm sure that some day you will be able to, and you'll be glad you got them on sale.

I really do plan to buy and wear Clark's sandals again, but it may be a few years. I want to be sure that my feet are more pain free than at present, before trying them. Also, I have Birkenstock Arizonas, Floridas, Granadas, and Fuldas in my closet, so it's hard to justify buying more sandals. I have worn my Granadas every day for the past month, and they are great. As sandals go, they look nice for work and more feminine than the other styles. They also give me that good Birkenstock support that makes life so much easier.

Carole C

Joy S. on 6/27/03 at 07:53 (123047)

YIPPEE!!!! My new birks arrived yesterday which was exactly ten weeks after I ordered them. I am so proud of my 1/2 price shoes that I want to order another pair. I opted for the free air mail shipping and I did have to sign for them. I still don't know when they shipped. The box that they arrived in only shows the date that they arrrived at my post office. My only concern is that my e-mails were never answered. I wonder what would have happened if the shoes had been lost in the mail. There may be a language barrier. Thanks for your concern.

Suzanne D on 6/27/03 at 10:09 (123064)

Oh, good, Joy! I'm glad they came and that you like them!

The first pair I ordered from Germany was around the time of the 9/11 attack. They arrived about the time of the Anthrax scare. Our little post office doesn't handle much overseas mail, and the lady called me, obviously worried when they arrived. I assured her I was expecting shoes from Germany, and she seemed to be relieved. But she still seemed glad when I came to get them!

I don't know about the e-mail question. On that first order I made, they did e-mail me to say that the shoes were still in production but would be ready to mail in about two weeks. They e-mailed again to let me know when they shipped them. I didn't have any correspondence with them when I ordered my second pair about a year ago. When I order, I always print out the copy of my order from the computer. I don't know if that would help in the future or not.

I hope the shoes really help you! Thanks for letting us know that they arrived.

Suzanne D on 6/27/03 at 10:23 (123066)

I thought I remembered that you liked Clarks, Carole. I DO hope that someday I can wear them because I really like them. Perhaps I can just wear them for short periods when I do. Like you, I will wait longer to give my feet more chance to heal.

I agree with you about the look of the Granadas. I have seen them on the internet sites and in catalogs. I wish more of the sandals came in the soft footbed. As far as I can tell, the Arizonas, Bostons, and Floridas are the only ones here in the states. But on the German site, there are about 8 styles with the soft footbed.

You are so right: Birk sandals DO make life so much easier! :D I realized some time ago that it had been a long time since my back had hurt. For about the past ten years, my lower back had hurt enough that I made routine trips to the chiropractor about once or twice a month. I don't do that any more, and my back hardly ever hurts at all. I give the Birks credit for that!

Hope you are having a good week, Carole!

Carole C in NOLA on 6/27/03 at 19:21 (123089)

I love wearing my Birkenstocks, because at my stage of recovery (mostly recovered) my feet can take it if I find myself unexpectedly standing in a long line or some such thing. My feet have never learned to pick them up when I walk in them, so unless I think about it they slip slide along and that seems a little unprofessional.

I wonder if now that your PF is so much better, maybe your feet could tolerate a Birkenstock without the soft footbed. They do get a lot softer once they are broken in, though they are always more marshmallowy feeling than velvety.

That's great that your back is feeling better.

I have been having one of those weeks where you just have to hang on and make it through the week. My mother and brother are both having very bad health crises, I think I have a low level flu-like illness, and my feet have not been helping my sense of well being. Maybe it's stress. All week I've been feeling more of an achey, bruised feeling in my feet than anything else.

Today, we had to evacuate my work for a surprise drill and I had to swiftly walk down several flights of stairs with hundreds of other people close behind me in the stairwell. My feet did very nicely in my Granadas until four steps above the ground floor, when my left foot landed on the sandal funny and then cramped severely!!!! It did not feel good and felt rather PF'y. I managed to totter down the last few steps and keep going, and then was able to shake the cramping out. I wished I had had my SAS shoes and custom orthotics on, because they are tie-on shoes and the orthotics would have stayed in the right place on my foot even going down stairs. But the Granadas do look better, and I don't often climb down stairs fast like that. Bet that was more than you wanted to know about my day! LOL

Carole C

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D on 6/27/03 at 21:17 (123094)

No, it's not more than I wanted to know, Carole! In fact, I was thinking of posting to you on the social board earlier this week to ask how your week was going; somehow I just had this 'feeling' that you were having a rough week. I don't know why - perhaps I noticed you hadn't posted quite as often. Anyway, I've been thinking of you! @};-

I'm glad you made it almost to the bottom of the steps before you landed funny on your sandal. That happened to me one time going down the steps from the library at my old school. Somehow I slipped out of the shoe a little and then really hit my heel on the back edge of the shoe. It did hurt at the time.

That's a good suggestion about trying the Birks that don't have the soft footbed. Maybe I can catch a good sale on a pair and give them a try.

I will also be thinking of your mother and brother. Is it the brother who had the stroke?

Take care,

Carole C in NOLA on 6/27/03 at 22:49 (123099)

Thank you for thinking of me, Suzanne! You really have a second sense about how people feel and what's going on with them.

Yes, it's the brother who had the stroke. He's not remembering to take his medications, and he's not keeping his blood sugar under control (gobbling candy and shooting insulin both). His short term memory is just about nonexistent, and he drove off the visiting nurse we had arranged for him, by never being there at the arranged times.

My 94 year old mother has to have her foot amputated very soon or get gangrene and die, so she hasn't much choice. That's pretty sad too. Luckily she is already in a wheelchair so it won't limit her mobility much, but it scares her.

I guess this sort of thing gets more common as we grow older. Our relatives grow older too, and I think I am learning to accept that and to accept them as the older and more infirm people that they now are, even if it is sad also.

Carole C

BevN. on 6/28/03 at 19:54 (123130)

Lynn. B,

What Birk's are the high arch ones, what is the name of the shoe? Thankyou . Bev

BevN. on 6/28/03 at 20:00 (123131)

Carole C,
I am so very sorry to hear your brother and mother are not doing well. That is so hard on you and the whole family when loved ones are ill. They are both in Hawaii , correct? Do they have others there to care for them? Are you able to go over there to be with them at all ? I hope things go better for you this week and I will be thinking about you . I always wonder what you are up to when we do not hear from you very often, but I know you have a busy job too. Have a nice weekend :) Bev

Carole C in NOLA on 6/28/03 at 23:37 (123138)

Bev, thanks for caring! To answer your questions, my mother is in Hawaii, and my brother moved to south Florida last fall. Mom has moved from her assisted living to the skilled nursing unit where she lives, so she has all the care she needs. My brother does not have any help and won't accept any. I called him earlier tonight to find out if he is all right, and he was just sitting down to Chinese food with a woman that he met less than a month ago and who we know nothing about, who he says he's planning to marry. (?)

Life is sure never dull. I can't go to see either Mom or my brother right now, but even if I did there is nothing I could really do to help either of them. It's been a tiring week, but I think things will be better soon. I don't know why I think that, but I just have a hunch, you know? Let's hope so, anyway.

Good night. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 6/28/03 at 23:47 (123139)

Bev, the Birkenstock Tatami Fuldas are high arch sandals that look sort of like Arizonas (and I have them and really like them). The Rhine is also a high arch Birkenstock but in a clog. I have a pair of Tatami whip-stitched Amsterdam clogs which were high arch last year when I bought them, but I'm not sure they still make high arch Amsterdams. The Rhine looks like a better quality clog anyway, since it has buckled straps, so maybe it replaced the Amsterdam.

Most of Birkenstock's Tatami line does not have the high arch footbed, but the high arch Birkenstocks that I have are Tatami's (if that makes sense). I suggest you check the footbed online first to make sure that the style you are interested in has a high arch footbed.

If you look at places like http://www.birkenstockexpress.com , it will tell you about each Birkenstock they sell and whether it has the classic footbed, the high arch footbed, or the low arch footbed, or what.

Carole C

BevN. on 6/29/03 at 15:05 (123153)

Carole c,
Thankyou for the Birk info, and you have a very nice week , okay :) Bev

Lynn B on 6/29/03 at 19:40 (123161)

Hi Bev,

I'd like to add that on the birkenstock express website you can click on the new high arch sandals. I have the Wuppers and am breaking them in very nicely with a minimum amoount of pain on my sore PF and no orthotics as these are already high arch. Good luck!

Lynn B

PS They took a little bit longer to ship ( I waited 2 weeks)