Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions about pump bump & bunion removal

Posted by Bobby D. on 6/20/03 at 11:04 (122434)

Hello. I have recently visited a podiatrist (my third one) for some pain that I have been having in the back of my heel as well as the dorsal side of my foot (near the big toe). I have been stretching and doing all of the conservative care treatments to help alleviate the pain that I feel associated with the 'pump bump.' This third doctor was very thorough and discussed surgery as a possible option. Also, the bunion on the same foot is 'spurring' and starting to become aggravated when walking or standing for prolonged periods. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

First of all, my job requires standing or walking for prolonged periods (at least 6 hours in an 8 hour day).

1. How long should I expect to be off if I have the heel spur removal surgery? Of course, it requires the tendon being detached to remove the spur.

2. I have had a bunion removed from my other foot before. Would I be crazy if I decide to have this bunion on my other foot removed keeping in mind that it is the same foot that the heel spur is on? If surgery is my option for the heel spur, should I get the bunion taken care of then or should I wait for a period of time and take care of the bunion after the heel spur removal?

Any advice that can be offered would be most appreciated. I am not quite 30, and I have a young daughter at home. I feel 30 everywhere except my foot. There I feel like I am 60+. Thanks again.