Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HELP!! 7 Weeks Post Op & worried!

Posted by Danielle on 6/20/03 at 14:50 (122464)

I had a Tarsal Tunnel Release 7 weeks ago. I suffered from TTS for over 2 years and couldn't take it anymore. I was looking forward to some relief from the surgery. The surgery went well. I had a splint on for 2 weeks and when I went to my doctor to have it removed I was shocked by how big the incision was. My doctor was surprised that I had a lot of pain and put me in a walking boot. I went back to him this week and I still have a lot of numbness. I can't tolerate a sock because my foot it too sensitive. Now in PT and I'm scared that I will never get back to normal. Also wondering if I now have RSD.

Can anyone relate to this?????

Re: HELP!! 7 Weeks Post Op & worried!

stella on 6/20/03 at 17:06 (122473)

Hey i just had tts release on may 22nd so almost a month now i am still in a splint im sure the same thing as u were. I am in lots of pain still taking pain killers. I have numbness just as bad as when i first had tts in the heel.. but some burning and that. I hope it gets better over time. I am still not in a walking boot. Maybe he took u out of the splint too early??? im thinking.....

Terry D. on 6/20/03 at 20:01 (122492)

I had tts May 19th. was in a big bandage for one week then I went on crutches. I did not put hardly any weight on the foot and kept it elavated. I was in no pain but that could be due to the 1600mg of neurotin I was on.
After 3 weeks I started to walk in water and put some weight on it. I also swam. I am now biking, swimming, and doing some upper body exercises.
I still use crutches and only put small amounts of weight on it during the day.
I guess the point is everyone is different. And many of the Dr's give different advice.
Listen to your body...I believe intuitively it will tell you when to speed up or slow down. Error on the side of caution. Take it slowly. I too, still have the same numbness I had before the surgery and am expecting pain as these nerves regrow. But the neurotin will help and in about 3 months to 9 months I think I'm going to be ok. It may take you longer or shorter. Ice and elavate. Keep the swelling down. And keep your faith. I'm wishing both of us good luck.
Terry

cooper on 6/21/03 at 15:46 (122566)

I had surgery May 14th and still have pain. My Dr. said I should have been pain free as far as the tss day 2 after surgery. I walked on it right away and have been back to work for 2 weeks. I have been allowed to do a desk job until 2 days ago then ended up working on my feet for 5 hrs. That kills and is no better than I was preop. I am concerned the surgery did not work so I hope you have better luck.

Linda P. on 6/22/03 at 11:31 (122609)

Hi Everyone,
I had my surgery on May 30th...just beginning to walk without crutches, but still in a soft boot (shoe)...still have swelling and tingling...and yes...still in pain to walk...I am starting my 13th session of PT...I believe I would not be this far along if it wasnt for the PT...the electric stim...seems to help alot...also they started messageing...so painful, but I believe will help in the long run...I am taking Motrin 600mg, 3 times a day...doctor and PT says I am progressing on time...'be patient':), so we shall see, my doctor says a good 3 to 4 months for complete recovery...says not to compare with broken bones...totally different...and recoup time is longer...I am encouraged to hear I am not alone with my feelings that I will never be able to walk without pain again...just gets discouraging....I am sure in a few months we will be up and running again....keep in touch:)

stella on 6/22/03 at 23:38 (122645)

hey wow i havent even began pt yet and i had my surgery the 22nd of may. I go into the dr this friday so maybe then i will. I have tingling and all that as well still. Not walking have a walker and a wheelchair just taking codeine for pain.

lauriel on 6/23/03 at 10:26 (122668)

Dannielle, I think that Tammy said it very well on the foot surgery board, I am almost 7 months post op, I think my recovery is very typical of TTS surgery and would recommend you read my posts on my post op surgery. PLease dont get yourslef in a panic, I know I did at times because I had set backs. This is not an overnight recovery it takes months to fully recuperate.
Good luck to all of you who just had surgery. By the way, I still have some occasional pain, can be on and off my feet for a few hours.
Laurie

Ricky J. on 6/23/03 at 10:40 (122672)

I had TTS surgery on Jan 13th of this year and still have alot of pain and I am on 2700mg of neurontin a day and 50mg of elavil a day. My doc told me it could be up to two years before I am pain free. I just don't know if I should have the surgery on the other foot now, or wait until my left foot gets better and proves that the surgery does work.

lauriel on 6/23/03 at 14:23 (122705)

Ricky, I was just about to make an appt for my Dr as I was just thinking my surgery was a failure (mine on Dec 7) he did say it could take up to a year, now if your Dr is saying it could be 2 years recovery! The actual recovery part from my surgery is going well, I am happy to be making good progress, but it is the zingers I still have is the reason why I had the surgery, I am sure he will tell me it just takes time which is what hehas always said.
Laurie

Sharon W on 6/23/03 at 14:56 (122717)

Laurie,

What my pod told me was, full recovery from my TTS and surgery would probably take 6 months to a year, OR MORE. Remember, it isn't JUST the surgery that your posterior tibial nerve has to recover from -- it ALSO has to recover from whatever damage was done to that nerve by TTS itself!

Sharon

lauriel on 6/23/03 at 18:10 (122749)

Thanks Sharon, I know it is a long time to heal, As my Dr said could be a year - just wish it would be sooner than later, It just gets scary when people Like Rickys dr say could be 2 years, but I think he is being really realistic. So many people posted saying their Drs tell them its almost instant relief and recovery is short. I think they are being led astray. Trying to get my Dr to explain the ins and outs is like pulling teeth. You have helped so much with explaining things. At least I am making progress on the overall healing process. It just gets frustrating when I did nothing different yesterday than any other day and I had several zingers. Hadnt had this much and painful since before surgery.
Laurie

Linda P. on 6/23/03 at 18:34 (122752)

I guess all doctors are different...as I can see on this site...my doctor didnt want scar tissure building up...I dont think I would be this far along without the PT...when I started i could not put my foot down at all without extreme pain...now on my 14th visit I am walking without the crutches and hopefully will be back in my sneaker soon...I am not saying this is all without pain...but it is bearable...I still question if I will ever be pain free...but like I say...I am doing much better then 2 weeks ago...just gets discouraging at times...I'm sure your PT will help you get up and going...just dont let them be too aggressive in the beginning...they are just starting the 'NO PAIN, NO GAIN' theory on me now!LOL I will be seeing my doctor on Thurs...and I will ask her again about the recovery time...she says 3 to 4 months???? Starting to wonder??? hum??? Hope all have a good foot day!:)

Sharon W on 6/23/03 at 19:52 (122759)

Laurie,

You are right on the nail with that one!

I know it is second nature for doctors to present a rosy portrait of their patient's prospects but some of these things that doctors seem to promise patients are just completely UNTRUE, as far as I can tell!

Of course, we as patients DO also have a tendency to believe what we WANT to believe... And noone WANTS to believe that recovery from the surgery they are about to have could take as much as TWO YEARS!!

Sharon

lauriel on 6/24/03 at 10:22 (122803)

Stella, please do ask your Dr for PT, forgot to say that in my 1st post, as Linda states how much it helped her, It also helped my tremendously, I started after one month 3 times a week and went for 2 1/2 months.

Laurie

Sharon W on 6/24/03 at 11:00 (122804)

Roger that! PT makes a LOT of difference after TTS surgery; they made ME a believer (and I hadn't been one, before...)

Sharon

stella on 7/05/03 at 19:06 (123640)

ok i will ask the dr.. i just cant believe its been 5 weeks since my surgery and nothing has came up. Maybe i will call and talk to my dr on monday cause my legs just hurt so bad weak and that. I am sure its cause of no muscles being used thank u