Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion/Haglund's deformity questions

Posted by Bobby D. on 6/20/03 at 15:20 (122467)

I had posted this question on another area of the message board, but I thought I would also give it a try here. I went to my podiatrist yesterday as a second opinion for some issues with my right foot. It seems that I have a Haglund's deformity or 'pump bump' on the back of my right heel. Also, I have a 'spurring' or bunion forming on the dorsal side of my right foot. I am considering surgery, so I had a couple of questions. First, I work in a job with a lot of walking and standing. I would say that I am on my feet 6 out of 8 hours a day.

1. If I were to have the Haglund's deformity taken care of by surgery, how long could I expect to be off work?

2. I am having trouble with the potential bunion today. Would it be in my best interest to have that taken care of while I am having surgery done for the H.D.? Or should I wait and do it separately? I had a significant bunion on my left foot a couple of years ago and having it removed really improved my quality of life.

Any advice that can be shared would be most appreciated!

Re: Bunion/Haglund's deformity questions

dave r on 6/20/03 at 15:27 (122469)

Well it sounds like you have had some luck with your surgeon already.
I too have a haglunds and have had a few opinions on having it removed. I guess the bottom line is that it could take 6 months to a year for it to heel. that is a sensitive area and prone to swelling.....I know that my doctor told me that i would be off of work for 6 weeks.....

Bobby D. on 6/24/03 at 13:58 (122832)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input. I was wondering what type of work you are in. You said that your dr. told you up to 6 weeks off. I just needed something to compare to. I am on my feet a lot at work.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bobby

dave r on 6/24/03 at 14:01 (122833)

He said that if i had a desk job that i would only be off for two weeks.A stand up job he recommended taking 6 weeks off.