Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Happy Longest Day of the Year!

Posted by Kathy G on 6/21/03 at 09:26 (122531)

That's what my mother used to say when June 21st rolled around. 'Today is the longest day of the year.' As an obviously very literal child, I used to think to myself that it was sad that she wasn't smart enough to know that there were twenty-four hours in a day, no matter how you cut it. She seemed like such a smart lady. It wasn't until many years later that I figured out what she meant!:D

This is the time of year that I love. Even if we have had tons of rain and are just starting to get a little sunshine!

I was at a meeting the other night and mentioned that this day was around the corner. One of the fellows said that he hated it because it meant that the days would start to shorten from now on! Talk about seeing the glass half empty!

Hope you all enjoy the extended daylight and have a happy weekend!

Re: Happy Longest Day of the Year!

Suzanne D on 6/21/03 at 20:25 (122589)

Kathy, I hadn't realized that this was the longest day until I read your post; then I remembered. It HAS seemed like a long day to me as today was the day we took our younger daughter to the 5-week Governor's Scholars Program about 2 1/2 hours away at Eastern Kentucky University. She fought back the tears as we were leaving, and of course I did, too, but I told her I was proud of her for having the guts to apply in the first place and to stay even if she WAS nervous about it. I am hoping she is feeling a little more 'at home' right now. I will feel better when I know SHE is feeling better!

It was good to come home and see a new post from a friend! Have a good weekend, everyone!
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/22/03 at 14:05 (122614)

I'm sure she is having a great time! She's getting to meet lots of other bright students with whom she has a lot in common, intellectually speaking.

I remember when I went to summer camp in Vermont for ten weeks the summer I turned 10, and again the following summer. We had a ball learning all sorts of things. Of course in that case it was mostly arts, crafts, and sports, but the girls in my tent and I would also check out the same wholesome books as each other from the camp library and talk about them. We read parts of Little Women together and cried for the character Beth, and even got our camp counselor in on it. And we also read less 'advanced' books that were funny and laughed together over them. For whatever reason, the kids at camp were brighter than the kids at my school, and it was such a thrill to meet new friends who were so intelligent. I can honestly say that I never thought about my family for a second, except when someone else would be 'bragging on' their family, so I'd tell her how my family was even niftier, and that type of thing. In general, I had a ball.

I know your daughter is at another age and developmental stage, but I hope she has the same sort of experience.... fun, intellectually stimulating, and uplifting! I'll bet she comes back all a-chatter about what it was like. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 6/22/03 at 14:28 (122619)

Thank you, Carole. @};- You always have a way of making me look at things objectively and helping me feel better in the process! I appreciate your telling me about your time at summer camp.

My daughter called later last night after I posted that message. She DID sound better, so of course that made ME feel better. I could tell from her voice that she was getting settled in. She told me, 'I felt pretty bad when you left, but then I made myself go and start a conversation with some girls, and then I felt better.'

They will have classes and activities and field trips all designed to enhance their learning and provide leadership opportunities. It is paid for by the state of Kentucky - no cost to the students - and of course the idea is to help future leaders to grow and develop and encourage them to stay in Kentucky by offering scholarships to Ky state colleges for those who complete the program.

Thanks for your interest,
Suzanne :)