Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

night splint alternative suggestion

Posted by chrisb on 6/21/03 at 10:37 (122533)

I thought I'd share this in case anyone finds it useful. My physiotherapist made me a fibreglas night splint that was so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep. Instead what I've been doing the past 2 years is sleeping on my side with my toes tucked into the crook of the knee on my good leg. This gives me I think some good fascia stretch and usually holds for a few hours until I roll over in my sleep. Also I sometimes try sleeping with my toes propped against the wall and my leg straight. This seems to have the added advantage of keeping the calf in a more stretched position.

Wish I could say any of this has actually cured my PF. I think it has helped a bit, but since I'm in the middle of a flare right now the world looks pretty grey anyway.

Re: night splint alternative suggestion

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/21/03 at 11:42 (122544)

It is fairly rare that I need to fashion a custom nightsplint since there are so many prefabricated ones on the market. I tend to favor the N'Ice and Stretch model, not because it functions better than any other but because it is the most comfortable one so patients can get the benefit of use.

Mar on 6/22/03 at 17:33 (122627)

Chris - You miust be some good sleeper to be able to do the things you do and sleep through it!!
Good luck! Mar

Mar on 6/22/03 at 17:34 (122628)

Ed - I have a question - when i use the night splint on my left foot (the one that did not have surgery) I don;t really feel anything like a stretch - is that how it's supposed to be or should I feel something? Mar

Re: Where can you get these?

lara on 6/23/03 at 11:21 (122678)

Where does one buy a night splint? Medical supply store?

BevN. on 6/23/03 at 11:33 (122680)

Night splints can get at http://www.footsmart.com or at

john h-moderator on 6/23/03 at 12:09 (122686)

Lara: I like the night splint sells on this board as well as any I have tried. Go to http://www.heelspurs.com and look under products. his night splin is soft,very comfortable,very portable.

john h-moderator on 6/23/03 at 12:14 (122687)

Mar: Most of the night splints i use are adjustable from a completely neutral position to one of various degrees of flexion. When we sleep our feet and fascia become very relaxed so when you first step out of bed the fascia is forced from a relaxed position to one of tension. The night splint even if used in the neutral position will keep some tension on the fasica and make it less likely to injure or reninjure an already inflamed fascia. I started in the nuetral position an over time added a few degrees of of dorsiflexion so as to actually put some tension on the fasia as I slept.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/23/03 at 13:16 (122696)

You may feel a mild stretch. The important thing is to maintain position -- initially with the foot at about 90 degrees to the leg, and then, slowly increasing the backward position.

Mar on 6/23/03 at 13:20 (122698)

Thanks Ed and John - I see that my splint comes with a wedge that can be inserted. The problem is I don;t have first step pain so it's hard to tell if the splint is helping. I'll try it with the wedge tonight. Mar

rose on 6/23/03 at 23:51 (122778)

I sleep with the cam boots on and there is no pain in the morning from this.