Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hard casting for PF and HS?

Posted by Holly L. on 6/21/03 at 10:48 (122535)

I was wondering if hard casting has good results for PF? I am a sufferer of PF and HS. I have been dealing with this for 1 year. I have done all the suggested treatments except cortizone. I have had all the inserts etc. except for professional orthotics, which I can't afford. I am going to see my physician this coming week and I wanted to have some information on hard casting results to see if it would be something to try.

Thankyou for the help

Re: Hard casting for PF and HS?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/21/03 at 11:39 (122543)

What is HS? Keep in mind that 'PF' is not even an accepted abbreviation for plantar fasciitis -- we just get away with using it on this site.

A cast can provide relief for the more acute symptoms of PF but not necessarily lead to a cure. I would need to know more about your biomechanics but many can get away with a combination of a good prefab orthotic and a motion control running shoe -- eg. combine a New Balance 1122 running shoe with a Superfeet foot bed ( http://www.superfeet.com ). I have not tried them but many have recommended the Powerstep foot bed too.

Holly L. on 6/21/03 at 13:07 (122552)

I have seen the wording heel spur abbreviated as HS. What is the 'acute' symptoms? I can barely walk without limping constantally it hurts so bad.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/21/03 at 14:23 (122558)

'Acute' refers to short onset or sudden but severe symptoms. It sounds like a cast may be a good idea to relieve your acute symptoms. You need a plan on what to do for permanent relief once the cast comes off. See Scott's Heel Pain Book in order to understand the basics of treatment for this.