Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The method of casting

Posted by Holly L. on 6/21/03 at 15:45 (122565)

I was wondering is there a certain method that is used when the cast is put on for PF or is the whole process the same as any other wrap. Is the foot positioned in a different way from, say, a 'fracture' or is any cast wrap o.k.? Also thankyou for responding to the questions.

Thankyou,

Holly L.

Re: The method of casting

Dr. Z on 6/21/03 at 16:20 (122570)

The goal of casting is to lift the heel off the ground and keep direct weigh off the heel area. A boot cast may do the trick

BevN. on 6/21/03 at 16:41 (122572)

Holly,

What about wearing CAMboots ( or CAM walkers as some call them) instead of hard casts? They are hard like a cast, however you can remove them to shower. Your feet can move around in them a tiny bit and that may not be what your doctor wants though . Just a suggestion :) Bev

Mar on 6/22/03 at 17:29 (122626)

The cam walker I had put a lot of pressure on the heel. Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/25/03 at 15:11 (122921)

Dr. Z:

The one problem with CAM walkers and the like is that their footbed is too flat. I will generally invert the heel and evert the forefoot while applying a fiberlglass cast for PF. My goal is to apply a cast that holds the foot in a position of minimal plantar fascial tension.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/25/03 at 21:56 (122959)

Mar:

Thats the problem with most of those devices. They have footbeds which are too flat, possibly placing too much pressure on the heel and not supporting the arch. Some docs get creative and modify the footbeds or place temporary orthotics in the devices.
Ed