Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RE: Peripheral nerve damage

Posted by Mar on 6/22/03 at 17:46 (122630)

Question - At one point it was suggested that I might have peripheral nerve damage below my right ankle. When the ball of my foot gets very inflamed as it is again this week, i have a burning below the ankle and that prickly feeling along the fascia and then from the ankle area up the outside of the leg. Is there anything that can be done for peripheral nerve damage? Also, if i have an entrapped nerve where I had the bunion surgery, is there anything that can be done for that excpet surgery? Thanks --- Mar

Re: RE: Peripheral nerve damage

Sharon W on 6/25/03 at 10:43 (122897)

Mar,

Are you taking anything for the nerve pain, like Neurontin or Topamax?

Some people have had steroids injected to try to relieve a nerve entrapment, but it doesn't always work... And of course, that does involve the usual risks associated with sticking a needle in that close to the nerve. If it isn't close enough, it won't do much to help -- and yet noone wants to DAMAGE the nerve with an injection.

You should probably try to see a physiatrist or a neurologist, and have the problem evaluated. (A good physiatrist might be ideal...)

Sharon
:)

Sharon

Mar on 6/25/03 at 15:25 (122924)

Sharon -

No I don;t take anything for nerve pain. I get side effects from every medicine I've taken, so i am hesitant to take the neurontin. The peripheral nerve damage is suggested not conclusive and the burning is annoying but mild and infrequent. The entrapped nerve in the ball of the foot where i had surgery is suggested but not conclusive either. I've had 2 nerve conduction tests. I've also had numerous cortisone shots with no help. As i am searching for someone who does myofascial release, perhaps I should try a physiatrist and kill 2 birds with one stone! Thanks for your response. Mar

Sharon W on 6/25/03 at 16:25 (122929)

Mar,

A physiatrist sounds like a really good idea.

Sharon
:)