Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT for bone spurs of the big toe or Hallux Limitus? Please ASAP

Posted by caulie on 6/23/03 at 00:35 (122647)

Please does anyone know ESWT ever used for bone spurs of the big toes or for Hallux Limitus (this is the same condition in medical terms) I am getting surgery soon and really need this imput and in order to do better with the treatment. Thanks in advance. A rapid reply wouuld be appreciated. caulie

Re: ESWT for bone spurs of the big toe or Hallux Limitus? Please ASAP

Dr. Z on 6/23/03 at 11:14 (122677)

Hi

Sorry ESWT can't be used for hallux limitus or bone spurs in the big toe joint. It is used for any tendons that are damaged. It is FDA approved in the USA for chronic plantar fasciitis and tendonitis of the elbow

john h-moderator on 6/23/03 at 12:21 (122689)

I think the only cure for hallux limitus is called the scapel.been there and don that.

john h-moderator on 6/23/03 at 12:27 (122691)

caulie: I have had the surgery for hallux limitus and it is not all that bad. only last about 30 minutes or less out patient. you should start bending that toe upwards as soon as possible after surgery to maintain the felxability you regain after surgery. I used some heavy twine and looped it around the toe and pulled each day several times a day. Pull to what ever pain tolerance you can take. The big bump will be gone and your pain in that toe should be gone within a month or so. this seems to be more prevalent in women than men probably because of footwear. I know at least three ladies who have had surgery on both feet. Do not do both feet at once. I went back to work on crutches in two days.

Caulie on 8/03/03 at 00:57 (126068)

Thanks for the imput-Caulie

Caulie on 8/03/03 at 00:58 (126069)

Thanks so much for the info. Caulie