Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

??? Is ESWT ever used for bone spurs of the great big toe or for Hallux Limitus?

Posted by caulie on 6/23/03 at 00:46 (122648)

??? Is ESWT ever used for bone spurs of the great big toe or for Hallux Limitus? I wouod appreciate an answer as soon as possible since I will be having surgery soon. thanks in advance! Caulie

Re: ??? Is ESWT ever used for bone spurs of the great big toe or for Hallux Limitus?

Dr. John Cozzareli on 6/23/03 at 06:04 (122652)

Hi Caulie:

The answer is no.

Dr.Jjohn Cozzarelli

Re: ??? Is ESWT ever used for bone spurs of the great big toe or for Hallux Limitus?

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/24/03 at 07:43 (122785)

Caulie,

ESWT can not be used for bone spurs associated with hallux rigidus or limitus. I get the impression that you may believe that ESWT is used for 'heel spurs' therefore can be used for any bone spur. ESWT does NOT 'dissolve' or break up the spur, contrary to what many patients may believe. Although ESWT evolves from lithotripsy technology, ESWT acts upon the soft tissue structures, unlike lithotripsy which breaks up the kidney stones. ESWT is used for plantar fasciitis/achilles tendonitis and does not treat the actual 'heel spur'. Hope this information helps.