Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole - catfish and hushpuppies

Posted by Suzanne D on 6/23/03 at 08:30 (122658)

Hi, Carole! You mentioned breaded and fried catfish and hushpuppies in another message. They sure ARE good!

Years ago we lived in another area of KY on Lake Cumberland, in land called 'the bottom' which was below a dam. There was excellent fishing 'in those parts', and the 'old men'(my age now!) knew all the perfect spots. One of these men took my husband out in a boat, and they fished all night. Tim came home with 40-some catfish, and we ate and froze the rest for later eating. They were delicious!

At the time, my husband preached at two little churches down there. They would periodically have a big fish fry after all the men went out fishing. The women brought in all kinds of good food to go with the fish, and that was 'the best eatin'' you can imagine. I have never tasted better food than the ladies cooked there.

You just brought that to mind with your message to Dr. Z about the catfish and hushpuppies. Now I'm hungry!

Suzanne :)

Re: Carole - catfish and hushpuppies

Kathy G on 6/23/03 at 09:30 (122663)

On a rare occasion we'll see catfish in the fish department of the local supermarket. I don't like fish so I've never eaten it. But, so I don't have to go and check in a cookbook, I'll ask you here. What are hushpuppies? I don't really know. When a Northerner like me thinks of Hushpuppies, we think of a pair of shoes!:D

Suzanne D on 6/23/03 at 09:58 (122665)

That's cute, Kathy! I hadn't thought about the hushpuppy shoes in relation to the food! :D

Hushpuppies (named this because they originated around the campfire when they were tossed to the hounds to keep them quiet!) are bread which is deep-fried. They are made from cornmeal, flour, buttermilk, egg, and chopped onion. They taste something like cornbread. They really are good with fish.

Do you have any Long John Silver or Captain D restaurants near you? They both serve hushpuppies with their fish.

Now I'm getting hungry again!
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/23/03 at 10:12 (122667)

I just love catfish, Suzanne! How delightful that your husband brought so many fish home. Even though there were so many, I'll bet they don't stay in your freezer very long.

I think often Northerners don't like catfish, because they think they are a 'trash fish' since they are bottom feeders. But in the South, we love them. It's funny how people are so particular about fish. In Hawaii, parrot fish are very popular to eat, but in Florida they apparently are not considered to be edible.

Glad to hear that you enjoy catfish in Kentucky, too!

Carole C

Dorothy on 6/23/03 at 15:28 (122722)

That area of KY is where all my family is originally from, although my parents migrated north to find work years ago when they were newlyweds and the country was still in the great depression, just before WWII.
You are right; the best cooks in the world (IMHO) are from that part of the world. As the world watches the huge engineering event in China with the Three Gorges Dam on the Yangzte River with all the displacement of people and loss of history and environment under the water, I recall all my family talking about when the Cumberland River was dammed to make Lake Cumberland. People had to move - they had to sell under imminent domain, if they owned the land - and all the farms, hollers, and such went under water. It is a beautiful lake, although it is far too commercial now for my taste, and I am sure it has made a positive difference in the economy there - but there is always loss, too. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, when there was still just a handful of houseboats on that lake, we would have a great time on the water. I have to say I didn't know there were catfish in there, but we were always on the lookout for cottonmouths!

Pam S. on 6/23/03 at 23:52 (122779)

I grew up in Western KY my mother can fry up a mean batch of hushpuppies and catfish. It does not get any better than that. How about cheese garlic grits. I have a great receipe for that. My dad's secret but I would surely share it with you all.

Now I am a Yankee, so my friends say. I have lost all my southern accent, so my KY friends say. I love southern people.

Carmen, I met my husband while he was stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY and he lived in Clarksville TENN. Many of his friends and 2 and 3 star Generals head of intelligence over in Iraq still. One friend Gen Dave Grange is often on CNN (retired.) Seems like only yesterday. My husband got out of the military after 5 years but these men are really quality leaders for our country I can assure you. How did I get on this subject. Am I in trouble...Warmly, Pam

Peter R on 6/24/03 at 13:44 (122827)

Eat a catfish? Not those bottom feeding sacks of ugly slime! O My- I bet some people will think I'm talking about a lawyer.

Dorothy on 6/24/03 at 14:03 (122834)

I need to make a correction: I wrote 'imminent domain' when, of course, I should have written 'eminent domain.' It probably only matters to a word lover like me, but I didn't want to leave the error in place.

john h-moderator on 6/24/03 at 15:40 (122841)

Dorthy great spellers like me and Dr Z will overlook your careless spelling error.