Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sandal besides Birk Arizona for TTS?

Posted by Des L. on 6/24/03 at 13:21 (122824)

Hi. Can anyone help with this please?

I have TTS and PF, take Neurontin for pain, and I've been wearing the Birkenstock 'Arizona' around the house when I'm not wearing NB tennis shoes with custom orthotics, which help a very great deal. Actually though I cannot walk without a lot of pain unless I'm wearing either of these. I am never completely pain free though.

But I feel better with the orthotics because it has a very slightly raised heel. This seems to help a lot for some reason as opposed to the flat heel in the Arizona.

So is there a Birk or other brand that has a slightly raised heel and is much like the Arizona shoe bed, or another brand like this used for those with TTS with the slightly raised heel?

Thanks for any reply.

Des L.

Re: Sandal besides Birk Arizona for TTS?

Sharon W on 6/25/03 at 11:42 (122900)

Des,

With my TTS I've had good luck with my Betula Birks -- and Sam's Club even seems to get them in about once a year and sell them for about $40 each, which is a great deal!

Sharon
:)

Richard, C.Ped on 6/25/03 at 11:59 (122908)

Hi Des...
You might want to get checked for a short heel cord. when someone says that they feel better with a higher heel that is a sign for me. If the heel cord is short...this causes the calcaneous to raise quicker when you are walking...thus tugging on the plantar fascia. A heel lift helps with this.
Just a thought.
Richard

Jeanne on 6/25/03 at 21:33 (122955)

Just wondering if you have the heel raise in both your orthotics? Does the heel raise help in the case of PF? I just got PF 2 weeks ago and was wondering whether my orthotics were making PF worse (I have a 1/8th inch raise on one orthotic) I'm hoping to get sandals as well.

Thanks!

Richard, C.Ped on 6/26/03 at 08:07 (122979)

We will raise both orthotics. You do not want to have one leg 'shorter' than the other. 1/8' is not that much. Most of the time, we will do about a 1/4' lift.
Richard

Des L. on 6/26/03 at 18:53 (123019)

Hi Sharon,

Thanks so much for helping. I have something to go on for a start and we have a Sam's Club nearby. I'll let you know.

Des

Des L. on 6/26/03 at 19:13 (123022)

Hi, thanks for answering. I've seen the pod a few times in the last year. He never said anything about a short heel cord, although when he prescripted for the orthotics for PF he told me he made the heel slightly raised but didn't really give a reason. Next visit I will ask that. Glad for the information and help. Thanks again.
Des

Des L. on 6/26/03 at 19:22 (123023)

Hi again Richard,

I'm just wondering if you know this problem. Is there a reason that I cannot 'roll' my feet when I walk, whether with or without orthotics? My feet sort of 'slap' down instead. Or is rolling your foot something you have to practice?
Thanks, Des

Mary Y on 6/27/03 at 00:57 (123044)

Hi Des,

You may want to try wearing your orthotics in your birk sandals. I once did that because the orthotics went in perfectly well. It was also very comfortable. I am assuming that you would still want to wear your birks if it wasn't for the heel problem. I think it is worth a try.

hth
Mary

Lynn B on 6/27/03 at 10:18 (123065)

Hi Richard

I thought I read somewhere on this board a while back that heel lifts are not the way to go for someone with a short cord as using the lifts for an extended time can shorten the cord further. (I may have read that on another website and not this one) I'm interested because my MD told me to get them.

Lynn