Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about ESWT

Posted by Elizabeth C. on 6/24/03 at 23:09 (122860)

Two weeks ago I had my third Sonocur treatment on my right foot. The tech said it may take up to six weeks to know if the treatments worked. Is this true? At first I was really hopeful, but know I am really becoming concerned. All of a sudden, my left foot when stretching my leg out or straightening the knee created a pulling sensation and really sharp stabbing pain. I had tore my fascia in my left foot last summer and was in a removable walking cast for two months. After that, my left foot felt great and didn't cause me any problems until now. Why is my left foot bothering me? I was treated (ESWT) on the right because I tore it playing soccer in May and I didn't want to be in a cast all summer again. Should I call the doctor, wait it out, I don't know what to do. My feet still really hurt in morning and after I sit for awhile. How long do I wait to see if ESWT is working, should releif be immeadiate? I don't know if I should consider ESWT for my left foot, I thought it was all healed and it rarely bothered me until now. I am wondering if the stretches the ESWT tech told me made my feet worse. She told me to put my toes high up against a wall and lean forward with my body. Could I have re-injured my left foot from these stretches?

Can anyone shed some light on this? I really need the advise.

Thanks

Elizabeth

Re: Question about ESWT

SteveG on 6/25/03 at 00:08 (122862)

Elizabeth - First of all, STOP doing the wall stretch. It is a pretty aggressive stretch and it could be causing you problems. Do you wear a nightsplint. If so, you should continue to wear it. I will help provide the gentle stretching you need. You can also click on the yoga link for a set of non weight bearing stretches. Concerning the ESWT, you are still early in the treatment cycle. Many people do not start to notice a change until weeks 8-12. If you had your last treatment 2 weeks ago, you will not get an idea if it was effective or not until around the end of August.

niels l on 6/25/03 at 09:00 (122880)

After my eswt i had many ups and downs the first 4- 5 moths. Be patient and give your feet all the rest possible. The full effect may not show until 1 year after the treatment. I agree to the comment on streching below.

Jen L on 6/25/03 at 16:44 (122933)

Elizabeth,
If I understand you correctly, when you stretch you stand in front of a wall and put one foot's toes up 90 degrees against the wall? That seems very scary! Many people on the board found that the regular wall stretch - standing with both feet FLAT on the ground while stretching the back leg, recommended in lots of doc.s offices can do more harm than good to an injured plantar fascia. It may not bother you for a long time and you may think it's healed, but more probably it's not completely healed. Have to be very carefull when you do any exercises. Most of us feel the non-weight stretching done properly are very helpful.

Jen

Elizabeth C. on 6/26/03 at 09:54 (122989)

Steve,

Thanks for your response. I don't have night splints, should I get them? I have heard different opinions about them, some say they work, some don't. I respect your opinion, I have learned more from this web sight than my doctor. I am willing to try something as long as it's reasonable price wise, my husband has me on spending probation. Also, do you think I should get ESWT on my left foot? Or should I wait to see how my right does. We were in the middle of switching our insurance in the middle of my ESWT treatment, so we are not sure our new insurance will cover the last(third) treatment I had.

The stretches you suggested, are they in the book you provide on this web site? I have heard from one of your 'posters' that I should never go barefoot. This is so hard, for years in our house we have had a no shoes rule in our home, so it feels strange wearing shoes all the time. Are 'flipflops' bad, LandsEnd makes them with arch support. I have been wearing them, but am paranoid I am making the situation worse.

Thanks so much for helping me out.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth C. on 6/26/03 at 10:04 (122990)

Neils,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am becoming impatient, people ask me all the time, hea you got your brace off, are you back to normal, are your coming back to the gym? Do you think it's safe to go back to spinning class? I was really stressed out with my kids the other day and my husband met me at my sons baseball game with his bicycle. I asked him if I could ride his bike home and reluctantly he said yes. I got on his bike and rode 13 miles in about forty-six minutes. Boy did it feel great, but all I could think about was am I damaging my feet more. This PF is making me crazy!

Thanks for your support,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth C. on 6/26/03 at 10:17 (122991)

Jen,
You are exactly right. She said (ESWT tech) she treated over 100 patients, and has probably told every one of them to do that stretch. Do you think I should call her and tell her what you and Scott said? I don't want to offend her, but I think that stretch reinjured my left facia. I can't win for losing, I have such bad luck! I am afriad to stretch at all. My left foot is real sensitive, if I move it the wrong way it sends a sharp pain in the center of my heel. I am supposed to go on vacation (nothing eleborate)next week and my husband doesn't want to plan anything that requires too much walking. Thats not fair on my kids, what is there to do that doesn't require walking that is kid friendly. I went to the zoo last week alone with my kids and my feet lasted six hours. When I got home I iced for about 45 minutes and took two Aleve. Is that Okay? What do you think?

Thanks for your advice,

Elizabeth

SteveG on 6/26/03 at 12:28 (122997)

You pod should have given you a night spint; if he/she has not, ask for one. Many people have benefited from using them. You can order one on this site. I don't recall the price, but they are not too expensive. I would go ahead with the ESWT, especially if you can get if covered by your insurance. But, like I say, it might take a while before you see results.

David L on 6/26/03 at 13:52 (123002)

Elizabeth....patience is key! You MUST wait at least 6-8 weeks after your last treatment to know the results. Most patients feel relief fo 24-48 hours following a treatment.....the analgesic effect that the shock waves induce. Then....over the next 6-8 weeks, the healing process takes effect as the blood works its way back into the area that has caused you so much pain. It is like healing a wound and/or healing after surgery. There is no magic bullet. The body needs time to heal. Please have patience and don't get frustrated. You'll have good days and bad days over the healing period, and the #1 thing you want to experience is CHANGE....for better or worse. That means things are happening.
Keep us informed.

Jen L on 6/26/03 at 16:18 (123008)

Elizabeth,

I know it's very difficult to stay off your feet with kids at home during summer. But I cannot agree more with other posters on this: rest, rest and be patient. Obviously you ran the risk of reinjuring yourself by walking for six long hours! Besides you should keep icing, when necessary for no more than 15-20 minutes each time, otherwise it may cause more problems to your soft tissue.
Think about the vacation or family life from a long term point of view: the kids may not like the 'low activity' summer, but they will be happier ever after having a healthier mom.

Jen

Carolyn L. on 6/28/03 at 13:34 (123122)

Is Medicare going to cover this?

Elizabeth C. on 6/28/03 at 13:37 (123123)

David,

Thanks for your input and support. You are absolutely right about change. I sure hope the ESWT works, I don't want surgery, but if it doesn't work I don't know what other options I have. Being an active person, PF has really effected not only my physical self, but emoional self. Excercise has been my natural medication,an outlet...from the daily stress...and a break from my kids. Today I have been on my feet on and off, trying to take breaks, and they are already killing me! What's a girl to do?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth C. on 6/28/03 at 13:57 (123124)

Jen,

I know what you are saying. I didn't know there was a limit on icing, thanks for that advise. I like a kid myself, I want to have fun this summer too! My kids are finally the ages that I can do fun things with them. Michael - 9, Katie -6, Angela - 4, and Grace -4. I love the summer, the outdoors, all of it! How do I rest without losing my mind? I have had PF for seven years, the worst has been this last year. A lot of my friends that I used to work out with have been diagnosed with PF. This is becoming an epidemic and there are a lot of uniformed people out there. I heard someone yesterday talking about surgery, I asked her if she had heard of ESWT. She had no idea what I was talking about and seemed overwhelmed when I tried to explain it. I don't think she will look into it, but I tried. Anyway, I hope someday I can get back to my old self, otherwise just check me into the looney bin!

Elizabeth