Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SAS and orthotics

Posted by Lori on 6/26/03 at 14:41 (123005)

I have custom orthotics. I have been reading about the SAS shoes. If I were to get those, would I wear the orthotics with them or go without the orthotics?

Re: SAS and orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 6/26/03 at 16:24 (123010)

You should be able to wear the orthotics in the SAS with no problem. make sure you take out the insole that came with the shoe before you put in the orthotics.

Jen L on 6/26/03 at 16:49 (123014)

I got SAS shoes one week ago, and I am getting used to my custom soft orthotics (SDO) in the new shoes at home. I feel more arch support in it than in my previously worn sneakers. I guess it's because SAS shoes have slight arch support built in its innersole while sneakers don't. If the orthotics were fitted perfectly before, now it may feel arch is too high.
I think you have to try it before you can tell whether you're comfortable with it. The SAS store in my area has this return policy: returnable within two weeks, then store credit or exchange afterwards.
Good luck.

not a doc.

Suzanne D on 6/26/03 at 21:30 (123035)

Hello! I'm not a doctor, either, but I do often wear SAS Free Time shoes with Superfeet inserts. As Richard CPed wrote, I take out the SAS insole to place the Superfeet inside. Most of the arch support in the shoe is in the removeable insole. So, by taking it out, any orthotic would have a flat shoe bottom to rest against.

Good luck to both of you, Jen and Lori!
Suzanne :)

Mary Y on 6/27/03 at 00:47 (123043)

I too wear custom made leather orthotics in my SAS shoes. They are a perfect fit. I have two SAS shoes. One pair has laces and the other is a slip on type. Perfect fitting in them. Now, if the orthotics would only work, I would have no problem.

rose on 6/28/03 at 12:41 (123117)

I have worn nothing but the tie SAS shoes for over a year with my orthodics. They work very well for me. Rose