Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

exostectomy 1st MPJ

Posted by Susan N on 6/26/03 at 19:55 (123027)

I finally went to a podiatrist because my large toes has been swollen and red for a few years. He told me that it was some kind of a bunion. He said that most bunions are on the side of the foot, but mine is on the top. The joints are nearly fused. He told me I could either have an exostectomy that would last for about ten years or they could do a more extensive surgery that would take care of the problem. I am 49 years old and in good health. What would you reccomend?

Thank-you

Re: exostectomy 1st MPJ

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/26/03 at 23:16 (123042)

Susan:

You may have hallux limitus or hallux rigidus. What is the 'extensive' surgery option? Do a searc on this site for hallux rigidus or hallux limitus as you will see the various treatment options.
Ed

Re: exostectomy 1st MPJ

SherylW on 7/03/03 at 06:32 (123492)

Susan, your problem sounds like one I had in 1999. I had the surgery and it was a disaster. Unless you have have extensive pain 24/7 I would avoid it at all costs. As a direct result of the surgery, my entire joint collapsed. The toe is now non functional and the pain is constant. I am sceduled for a toe fusion on August 11th. I only wish it had fused on it's own.