Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Summer is finally here!

Posted by Kathy G on 6/27/03 at 09:41 (123061)

We went swimming yesterday! I think, in 53 years of living in New England, this is the latest I've ever waited to go for my first swim. Usually we swim at the end of May and here it is almost the beginning of July! We are in the midst of our first warm weather which has arrived in the form of a full-blown heat wave with temperatures in the nineties and high humidity. The surface of the water was amazingly warm, like what you'd expect in mid August, but down below it was nice and cold. It was wonderful!

Now I know it really is summer! =D> Now if we could sustain this heat so that the farmers, and us amateurs, could get our plants up to speed. The strawberries are a week late but they say they are wonderful. I intend to go out in a bit and buy some to find out for myself. We have several 'pick your own' fields in the area, one just up the street. But since the kids aren't home anymore and my husband works hard and doesn't want to spend his time off picking strawberries, I guess I'll buy them at the stand!

Re: Summer is finally here!

Suzanne D on 6/27/03 at 10:28 (123067)

The same here, Kathy! We are having really hot days now, and the humidity is rising as well. It seemed we had been stuck for so long in the cool and rainy cycle, but it finally does seem like summer!

Tomorrow I will be working all day at a kindergarten day camp at the church camp near here. I will enjoy that, but I do notice that being outside basically from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. tires me more than being inside at school! Then our VBS all-day program will be at the same camp next Thursday. We've been hard at work preparing for those two events. It will be nice for the children to have hot weather so they can go swimming while there.

Glad you're enjoying summer weather as well!
Suzanne :)

JudyS on 6/27/03 at 12:35 (123071)

Kathy - can you believe it - it's been the same here in San Diego! Yesterday was the first decent day for pool-swimming and it'll be another two or three weeks until the ocean is warm enough. All of last week was cold, cloudy, rainy - just like a normal SD winter!

Sandra D on 6/27/03 at 20:28 (123093)

It has been hot this week in NC. We did get to go swimming some about 2 weeks ago. The pool was still cold. And the Ocean is very cold. I am glad to see some sun instead of all that rain. Glad you all are enjoying summer.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/27/03 at 23:01 (123100)

We have been having summer rains this month, and I love them! New Orleans tends to be very hot and humid in the summer, so we really cherish these rains because they cool things off. This has been the third rainiest June in history, and it's not even over. Downtown there has even been a little minor flooding, and I know that is always hard on people even in flood prone areas. Here in the suburbs, we have just had enough rain to make it cool and pleasant.

I love the summer rains!

Carole C