Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

went to dr today post op

Posted by stella on 6/27/03 at 13:20 (123074)

Hello everyone! I just got back from the drs today. He says the scar area is healing very well. However i told him the numbness in my heel just wont go away. So i finally got some of that neuortin? I spelled it wrong i know. I hope it helps only got a weeks worth to try it. Also he gave me a script for bio freeze?? Has anyone else tried this? It is suppose to help the nerve ending? I am hoping it works. I am still in splint its my 5th week now since surgery. He says in a week or so i can start to put some weight on it but only the top of foot. No mention about physical therapy i go back in 3 weeks. My foot is so stiff any ideas???

Re: went to dr today post op

Sharon W on 6/27/03 at 14:41 (123079)

Stella,

Glad to hear your scar area looks good.

I'm not sure why you would need a script for BioFreeze, unless it was just to help you remember the name. It's good stuff, though -- for me it really helped knock out some of the pain wherever I rubbed it, for about half an hour...

Good luck with the Neurontin. If the Neurontin seems to help you, can you call his office and ask for a script so you don't have to wait a full 3 weeks to get more?

It's too bad he didn't order any physical therapy -- but sometimes you have to ASK -- and some doctors (unfortunately) say they don't 'believe' in PT.
:)
Sharon

Terry D. on 6/27/03 at 19:41 (123092)

One week on neurotin may not show much improvement.
I was in terrific pain and it took 6 weeks to gradually step up to the proper dosage to eliminate my pain.

JoAnn M on 6/27/03 at 22:03 (123098)

Do you have access to a swimming pool?I am 8 weeks post op for tts,the most helpfull thing so far has been walking in our pool.we had put off opening it this year untill I could get around(no one else knows how to care for it)Well,we got it open about 10 days ago.Since the first day I have seen improvement in mobility,pain is less while in pool and after getting out.However,sometimes it comes back with a vengence later that day,but I feel better in the morning.I am walking in pool 20 minutes a day,no pt from my dr,he seems concerned I do too much already,he agrees that the pool is good for me.One caution,swimming seems to make tts pain worse,I think it is the kicking,not going to try that again soon.Hope this helps you!

lauriel on 6/30/03 at 10:20 (123193)

Stella, I had the weird nerve tingling pain in my heel, I think the sensation was more weird than it hurt, I only felt this sensation when I tried to weight bear. Dr gave me Nuerontin, but I decided not to take it. It just took me longer to weight bearing because of this sensation, it slowly went completely away, after about a month. I would ask your Dr about PT, ar rather tell him you want it, it makes a world of difference.
Good luck
Laurie

lauriel on 6/30/03 at 10:27 (123195)

Stella, I had a similar sensation when I first tried to weight bear, mine was this wierd nerve tingling pain. I think it was the sensation not the pain that bothered me more. So I was slow to do full weight bearing, at almost 2 months. It finally went away completely. I would tell your Dr you want PT, it makes a world of difference and now is the perfect time to start.
Laurie

Terry Z on 6/30/03 at 16:07 (123220)

Stella,
I also have numbness in my heal on the outside and I had TT surgery in January. It doesn't hurt but it feels funny when I touch it, however my ankle was also scoped on the other three sides when I had TT surgery so I'm not sure what has caused this to happen. I really don't think it will ever go away six months is a long time but I suppose there's alway a chance.
Terry

Sharon W on 6/30/03 at 17:07 (123233)

Terry,

It's too soon to give up on recovering the sensation on the outside of your heel; remember, TTS ITSELF does damage to those nerves, it isn't just trauma to the nerve resulting from surgery. And nerves CAN heal; they just heal very, very slowly...

Sharon
:)

stella on 7/02/03 at 01:44 (123399)

i am not noticing that much with the bio freeze that i am putting on my heel the nurse said a cold then hot feeling. Not feeling any of that on my heel. Now i have tingliness in the front of my foot where i have been putting some weight when im walking in the house with my walker. I have not noticed much with the neourtin either. But i only have the weeks worth of it. I am still in the splint. I wil ask when i go back in 3weeks about pt. I just thought the dr would bring it up. take care all

Re: For Stella

Sharon W on 7/02/03 at 07:43 (123402)

Stella,

I'm not sure your doctor really even knows how to prescribe Neurontin for nerve pain... It seems VERY unusual that he gave you only a week's worth, since many people do not start to feel any improvement after only a week.

And anyway, Neurontin is normally started out with one pill at night, then a few days to a week later another pill in the morning, then 3 times a day after another few days to a week, and then gradually increasing the dosage until you find the right amount that works for you.

I'm sorry the bio freeze doesn't seem to do anything at all. For me it did, but only helped for half an hour or less -- long enough for my physical therapist to do painful stuff to it, or for me to do my stretches at home, but that's about all.

Sharon

Re: For Stella

stella on 7/05/03 at 19:03 (123639)

Sharon thank you i am very disappointed as u know. My heel still has no feeling. I am still walking with the walker and putting light weight only on the top of my bad foot and now that hurts very bad. The bio freeze seemed to work on the upper part of my foot. I am gonna see about pt next week when i go to the dr. I need massage or something. My legs are constantly weak espically my left like im gonna collapse. I need advice on meds? I am still taking codeine for the pain. But neuortin i dont know if i should get another script or not on monday??? I was taking it 3 times a day at 100mg. But didnt see much improvement as im sure a week isnt long enough. My scar area seems to be ok still just a lot of cracking of skin and flaking and that. I dont like looking at it ha ha ... bye