Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3 months post ESWT; pain returns

Posted by Jeanne S on 6/27/03 at 19:07 (123087)

I had ESWT on 3/28 and had immediate pain relief and slow but steady progress until last week. I went to a party and was on the dance floor for about 20 minutes-nothing fancy, just doing the twist and some rock n roll. Since then I have had pain in the back of my heel (achilles area) and on the inside of the foot( near the insertional area I think).The heel is tender to touch and the back of my sneaker hurts it. Has anyone else had this happen? I feel that I undid all the healing and am back to the beginning. My insurance (BC/BS of Mass) is no longer covering ESWT as of 7/1/03, so another treatment is not an option. I am not sure I would do it again; I really was sooo careful and easy on my foot; if that short activity caused this regression, it was not worth it. I am resting and icing as much as I can, but I have to do some walking to get things done. Any dvice is appreciated. My pod is in Mass and I am in Maine for the rest of the summer. What about starting to use aleve again?
Jeanne

Re: 3 months post ESWT; pain returns

Dr. Z on 6/28/03 at 09:06 (123109)

I would call your podiatrist and tell him the situation. It might be temporary or it might be something else . Difficult to tell without an examination. Most insurance companies that cover ESWT will cover a second treatment after 12 weeks . So if you call BC/BS of Mass and have a letter sent before the 2nd of July they may cover the procedure after July 2 because the problem was before July 2.