Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z---Shaq

Posted by john h-moderator on 6/30/03 at 09:21 (123189)

Dr. Z: I was just reading about Shaq's foot problem he had this year which may have led to his sub par performance. He had hallux limitus and did not have a chelictomy until the season was almost ready to begin. I am supprised a 350 lb 7 footer could come back as quick as he did from that surgery.

Sammy Sosa had his great toe nail removed and missed almost 20 days. I did not realize that was such a big deal. he was on crutches.

Re: Dr. Z---Shaq

Dr. Z on 6/30/03 at 13:29 (123206)

John,
You did very well with your big toe joint surgery. I tell patients that the swelling and pain could last for three to six months even with the type of surgery you had. Toe nail surgery can be an eight week plus ordeal if you take the entire nail off and then try to get into a closed shoe which will usually cause an infection if it rubs too much on the open nail bed

Re: Dr. Z---Shaq

Dorothy on 7/01/03 at 17:53 (123371)

Imagine the big toe of Shaquille O'Neal. It would probably need its own separate Birkenstock.