Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm stretching less and feeling better.

Posted by Cyndi T. on 6/30/03 at 20:26 (123266)

I have had PF in my right foot since early March (marathon injury), and have been conscientiously doing the doctor-recommended stretches since then, plus I started using the foot trainers about six weeks ago. Also I have been wearing orthotics for about six weeks. Some time last week I decided to stop stretching for a while and see what happens. Every day my foot felt a little stronger. This past weekend I was able to visit the new downtown Aquarium here in Houston, and I did more walking than I had since my injury, with no adverse effects! I still stretch just a little bit before getting out of bed, and that's it. I am wondering if maybe I was stretching too strenuously before and it was doing more harm than good.

Re: I'm stretching less and feeling better.

Rick R on 7/01/03 at 07:47 (123288)

Before surgery I couldn't stretch at all. I am, however, a firm believer in stretching for PF. I couldn't be active without it at this point. I believe if I was stretching correctly to begin with I may never have been done in by PF. My suspicion is that the bone spur caused tearing as I attempted to stretch. I still have a spur on the right side and stretch with no negative consequences, so who knows. I wonder if you have developed an actual spur at this point.

Good Luck,

Aly R. on 7/01/03 at 08:27 (123297)

I'm also trying less stretching & have seen improvement. I was doing slant-board stretching for the longest time, but I think that was aggravating my feet. Now I only do very light non weight-bearing stretches before I get up, and again at bedtime. I think it's very easy to overdue the stretching, while trying so hard to 'do the right thing' for one's feet...

Kathy G on 7/01/03 at 08:49 (123304)

It's so true that it's individual. My feet feel like they have to be stretched and I do it all the time. For me, it really helps. And I have this stupid pain in my calf that is really severe sometimes. The only thing that seems to help it is stretching and standing on the slant board. Well, and muscle relaxants, but I only take those when I'm desperate.

I remember one of the doctors - maybe Dr. Z? - saying that people have a tendency to be overzealous in their stretching so I guess it's not that unusual.

Kathy G on 7/01/03 at 09:16 (123309)

I just happened to think. When you speak of stretching, are you talking about Julie's Yoga Stretches? That's all I do.

Re: What were the Doctor recommended stretches? EOM

Mike W on 7/01/03 at 10:26 (123316)

Hello Cyndi,

What were the Doctor recommended stretches?

Mike W

Dorothy on 7/01/03 at 17:14 (123365)

When you say you have stopped stretching for a while, do you include the Foot Trainers in that, or the other 'doctor-recommended stretches' you were doing?

Re: What were the Doctor recommended stretches? EOM

Cyndi T. on 7/02/03 at 11:13 (123433)

The doctor was recommending various stretches, including the weight bearing ones like the standing calf stretch. I think I was overdoing it because of my impatience to get better!

Cyndi T. on 7/02/03 at 11:27 (123435)

I've stopped the foot trainers for now, but I will go back to them later. I realize that I have been overzealous in my stretching routines, trying to do everything that the doctor recommended. I am only doing gentler, non-weight bearing stretches for now, and I feel so much better. I have insisted on going the natural way, and refused to take a cortisone shot. One doctor kept talking about surgery when I had the condition for less than two months! Of course, I knew better, thanks to this website and others from major medical centers. He said 'be careful what you read on the internet!' Ha, ha!

Dorothy on 7/02/03 at 16:17 (123456)

The Foot Trainers are what I turn to when soreness or problems (with feet!) increase, as well as using them regularly in the maintenance routine. Since they are gentle and non-weight bearing and provide both gentle strengthening with gentle stretching, they seem to keep the feet 'going' whenever they start to act up more. They always intrigue me because they are so odd but so very effective and I marvel at the wise thought process that developed them.

Just a few days ago, during a short time when my feet had been feeling so 'OK' as to be feeling almost normal (remember normal feet?), I was up early after a very late night, kind of thick-headed, and headed down the hall - barefooted and walking just like someone who has normal feet (I forgot, for a moment...) and all of a sudden those feet just really brought me up short. Lots of hurt - and I just thought, 'oh, no...what have I done...' So I got to the Foot Trainers and did the routine,and did some self-massage on the feet and they were very quickly back to the 'OK' status. Do I have full trust in the 'OK' status? No. But it's nice when it visits for a while. I think the Foot Trainers are a kind of security blanket for me, but I have found them very effective.

Anyway, we all have to do what works for us when it works for us and I wish you well in your own regimen.

Mike W on 7/02/03 at 22:35 (123487)

Hello Cindy,

Our customers have the best results when they stop performing the 'traditional PF exercises'.

Please visit my website http://www.foottrainer.com and click incorrect exercises to find out why many exercises may do more harm than good.

I hope you get better very soon.

Mike W

Cyndi T. on 7/02/03 at 23:58 (123488)

Thanks for referring me to the 'incorrect' exercises. I was doing practically all of those, under the recommendation of the doctor and physical therapist. When I did the foot trainer exercises before, it was in addition to them. Now I plan to start back with the foot trainers exclusively!

Aly R. on 7/03/03 at 13:17 (123512)

Hi Dorothy,

I don't know your history (I would look it up but I'm at work and am not even supposed to be on the internet!) but I have been very interested in the Foot Trainers...at what point in your battle with PF did you start using them (were you already starting to heal, or in the every-step-hurts stage?

Dorothy on 7/03/03 at 18:29 (123531)

Hello Aly R.,
I was in the every-step-hurts stage. I was very wary of them at first because they look strange and take a little getting accustomed to, but once I got the hang of them and used them every day, they helped tremdously. Once it was obvious how much they were helping, I became quite attached to them and even took them with me on the airplane a couple of months ago. I was concerned about security and having to explain a 'foot trainer', but they - and I - made the trip just fine. As of maybe the past month, I am using them in the maintenance stage or three times a week. If the feet are having some extra difficulty, I use the Foot Trainers more often. There was a breakthrough moment when I realized that if I THOUGHT about what I was doing and what it was supposed to accomplish/what areas were 'working' in a focused,concentrated way, that seemed to improve the Foot Trainer experience and result. As my husband always says, 'It helps to read the manual...'

Ellen J. on 7/04/03 at 16:58 (123597)

Hi Cyndi
I too found that stretching caused problems for my feet. I have had P.F. for 4 years and am just now feeling completely pain free. Once I stopped stretching, my feet began to heal more quickly. At this point, now that my feet are mostly healed up, I can stretch without causing any problems and it feels good. I also found that for me, arch support caused big problems! Others are greatly helped by arch support, but all it did was press on my arches and aggravate them. What is so frustrating is that many of the shoe manufacturers are putting lots of arch support into their shoes and I cannot wear them. I suppose that works well for some people but not me. Anyway, I'm glad you are paying attention to what your feet are telling you, as that was one of the keys to finally healing for me. I hope you continue to heal up quickly now.
Ellen J.

Re: Foot Trainers

Ellen J. on 7/04/03 at 17:03 (123598)

Hi Aly,
I love my Foot Trainers, and I started using them late in the healing process. I could have used them much earlier, when my feet still hurt alot, but I had so many setbacks that I was petrified to try anything. I was so scared of having another setback that I stored the foot trainers until I felt confident enough to try them. Now, I think that if I had used them sooner I would have healed up sooner. I really like them and my feet feel good while using them. They are making my feet stronger and for the first time in 4 yrs. I can actually wear more than one pair of shoes! I can wear sandals, flip-flops, etc., though I still use caution when trying any new shoes.
I hope you find that the foot trainers help you too.
Ellen J.

Re: Stretching

Kathy G on 7/05/03 at 08:30 (123613)

One of the strange things about PF is that physical therapists and doctors tell you to do stretches that actualy aggravate the condition, like the wall stretches. If you do a search on these boards under 'yoga stretches,' you'll find some safe, effective stretches that were posted here by Julie several months ago. I do these without even thinking. The other day, I went to the Mall and sat down to rest for a bit. I noticed a little boy pointing at me and realized that unconsciously, I was making little cirlces with my feet. It's nice to provide amusement for the little ones!

rose on 7/05/03 at 12:34 (123625)

Yes. Too much stretching gave me sciatica. Be very careful stretching. I was in a stretching class. I should have known better.