Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

IS 6 WEEKS AN UNREALISTIC TIME TO HEAL????

Posted by MARISA on 7/01/03 at 02:19 (123280)

I JUST HAD TTS SURGERY AND PLANTAR FASCITIS SURGERY ON THE 18TH OF JUNE. MY POST OP APPOINTMENT IS THE 1ST OF JULY. I HAVE MANY CONCERNS ABOUT MY RECOVERY. FIRST AND FOREMOST MY DOCTOR SEEMS TO THINK THAT I WILL BE BACK TO MY RETAIL JOB IN 6 WEEKS. AFTER READING MANY OTHER RECOVERY TIMES I REALLY BEG TO DIFFER. IT IS GOING ON 2 WEEKS AND I CAN'T EVEN LEAVE MY FOOT DOWN TOWARD THE GROUND WITHOUT IT SWELLING AND TURNING A LOVELY SHADE OF BLUE. DOES RECOVERY GET SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER AFTER TWO WEEKS OR IS THIS 6 WEEK TIMELINE RIDICULOUS???
I WOULD LOVE ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK. IT REALLY IS NICE TO KNOW THAT I CAN RELATE TO THOSE WHO HAVE AND ARE EXPERIENCING WHAT I AM. ALTHOUGH, AT THE SAME TIME I WISH THIS GRUELING DISCOMFORT ON ANYONE.

Re: IS 6 WEEKS AN UNREALISTIC TIME TO HEAL????

Sharon W on 7/01/03 at 07:03 (123285)

Marisa,

6 weeks seems to be a pretty standard amount of time for surgeons to keep their patients off work, at least initially. I HAVE read reports from people who were feeling pretty good after 6 weeks and able to go back to work with tolerable discomfort. But TTS surgery doesn't heal completely in 6 weeks; takes longer than that before you will even be able to get a good idea how well it has healed and whether or not your surgery was successful.

You will have to follow your doctor's instructions very carefully and always be aware of what is going on with your feet. The blue color of your foot may be cause for concern -- and if you haven't already done so, please contact your surgeon right away and make sure he/she gets a good look at it ASAP.

In my case, I had VERY good after-TTS-surgery care, including frequent (at first) visits with my doctor, and physical therapy with massage and stretches and careful exercising. A complication still developed at 3-4 months after surgery and I had to be treated (successfully) for scar tissue. I think it's because my podiatrist was right on top of that problem from the start, that the treatment for it was successful and by 7 months after my surgery, it was clear that my surgery, itself, had been a success.

Sharon

Terry D. on 7/01/03 at 11:50 (123323)

I am now 6 weeks post op....and could not go back to a job where I had to be on my feet all day. I can walk without crutches, swim, ride a bike etc but I am not ready to go back to being on my feet for an extended period of time. I am hopeful that I will be ready in 5 more weeks. My recovery seems to be going well....I didn't have the swelling or discoloration you have....so comparing the two maybe you are behind me....therefore 6 weeks doesn't seem like enough time for you. Look up the ADA on the internet. 12 weeks off of work is your right.
Don't rush it.
Terry

MARISA on 7/01/03 at 12:32 (123334)

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE HAS REPLIED TO MY QUESTION. I WILL SEE THE DOCTOR TODAY AND LET EVERYONE KNOW THE OUTCOME.

MARISA

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/01/03 at 21:15 (123386)

Marisa:
Six weeks would not be sufficient recovery time for most individuals with jobs that involve standing for 8 hours per day (there are always some exceptions to the rule). Physical therapy can often speed the healing process. Also make sure that you have the right shoes and/or possible orthotics before going back to activities that involve prolonged standing.
Ed