Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new medical device

Posted by Scott on 7/01/03 at 16:14 (123358)

Heard about a new fda approved device that claims to be 95$ effective for peripheral neuropathy. its covered by medicare. info at http://www.rebuilder.com

Scott

Re: new medical device

scott on 7/01/03 at 17:15 (123366)

sorry, thats rebuildermedical.com

scott

Dorothy on 7/01/03 at 18:01 (123372)

The medical device I am very curious about is the type of device that the poster Rehka (Rekha?) wrote about trying, the Light Force Therapy device. Some of us are still waiting and hoping she will report back on her experience with this device.
But thank you for the information on this new device.

scott on 7/01/03 at 19:57 (123378)

Dorothy, did a quick search and the light force device appears to be for arthriris. do you know if it works on nerves? how long ago was it posted.
thx
scott

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/01/03 at 21:10 (123385)

Scott:

Interesting site but I did not see any info. pertaining to documented clincial studies, Medicare coverage or FDA approval on the site.

Ed

scott on 7/01/03 at 23:35 (123395)

Good points Dr Ed. This was posted at the neuropathy message board, where
I've been a member for a short time. A 2nd person chimed in that it she had used it and it did indeed work. 2nd person seemed to be a regular poster they did say it was covered by medicare. (not old enough yet so i don't know) I'll see what else I can find out. Does sound too good to be true.

Scott

Dorothy on 7/02/03 at 00:59 (123397)

The posts have been in June 2003; you can search under 'Rekha' and see what that person posted and subsequent inquiries, but she/he has never responded again. One can also do a broad search on the web regarding light therapy and peripheral/diabetic neuropathy or just light therapy and find various references. However, the article referred to from Newsweek appeared in April 14, 2003 issue of Newsweek and is as follows:

Health: Shining A Light On Pain

Therapeutic LEDs use light to penetrate deep into tissues and boost the body's own natural healing processes

By Anne Underwood
NEWSWEEK INTERNATIONAL

April 14 issue The marine's voice had an edge of urgency. As he explained to physical therapist Ben Freeman of Castle Rock, Colorado, in January, his unit was about to ship out to war. But his upper back was so sore that he was hardly in fighting trim.
HE HAD TRIED all the usual remedies chiropractic, massage, electric stimulation. But he had never seen anything like the eight-inch black plastic disk Freeman had on his shelf. The device, from a company called Light-Force-Therapy, bristled with 192 red and infrared light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Freeman placed the device directly on his back for 15 minutes and then physically manipulated his neck and shoulders for another 15. The Marine came back four days later for more. In just two half-hour sessions, he noticed more improvement than he had in three years of other therapies.
Light can heal. The ancient Greeks knew that. They put sick patients in the sun to aid the curative process. But modern technology has dramatically increased the possibilities, giving us lasers and light- activated drugs. Therapeutic LEDs, the latest addition to the list, use light to penetrate deep into tissues and boost the body's own natural healing processes. Studies are showing that these new devices can help ease chronic pain, speed wound healing and prevent acute mouth ulcers in certain cancer patients. Even the U.S. Defense Department and NASA are studying LEDs as potential aids to healing injuries on the battlefield and in outer space. And plans are in the works to introduce the technology, patented in at least nine European countries, to the U.K. later this year.
Unlike the LEDs in your digital clock, these devices use just one or two wavelengths of (visible) red or (invisible) infrared light that have been selected for their therapeutic properties. Dr. Harry Whelan, professor of neurology at the Medical College of Wisconsin, has shown that a specific red wavelength boosts a key energy-producing enzyme in cells. In one published study, he found that LEDs developed for NASA sped wound healing in a U.S. Navy submarine crew by 50 percent. Other researchers have shown that certain infrared wavelengths stimulate the release of nitric oxide in blood vessels, causing them to dilate. This, in turn, increases circulation to a wounded area, improving delivery of oxygen and nutrients and the removal of wastes. That may be why LEDs seem to relieve ailments from muscle strains to shin splints.
LED devices may even help reverse diabetic peripheral neuropathy, or nerve impairment in the limbs long thought to be irreversible. In a study last year in the Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, doctors treated 49 subjects with an infrared-only LED device from Anodyne Therapy LLC. After just six 30-minute sessions, 48 of the patients showed improvement. Similarly, says Denver podiatrist Dale H. Carnegie, one of the study's authors, the Anodyne device can help heal diabetic foot ulcers. Ultimately, he says, this could spare patients with diabetes from having limbs amputated.

For several hundred dollars, companies like BioScan and Light-Force-Therapy sell LED home units over their Web sites (bioscanlight.com and light-force-therapy.com). Home units are fine for minor aches and sprains. But for serious conditions, consult a doctor or therapist. Anodyne's Web site (anodynetherapy.com) posts recent medical studies on the subject. Let there be light.

2003 Newsweek, Inc.

Aly R. on 7/02/03 at 08:11 (123404)

I just realized I posted this to the Tarsal Tunnel category. I do NOT have tarsal tunnel, but PF. Sorry about that...I will repost the above in the Treatments / Symptoms / Products section.

Aly R. on 7/02/03 at 08:12 (123405)

Time for me to get some coffee!!! I'm posting in all the wrong places!

BevN. on 7/02/03 at 08:49 (123419)

Aly R.,
Coffee sounds good, I haven't had mine as yet this morming either. What site did you order your light device on ? Thanks :) Bev

Aly R. on 7/02/03 at 08:57 (123420)

G'morning Bev!

I ordered it on http://www.lightforcetherapy.com . I also chatted with their customer service department, & they were very friendly and happy to answer questions.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/02/03 at 21:50 (123485)

Scott:

Medicare is usually not quick to cover new devices or treatments, although they can beat a number of private insurers to the punch.

Ed