Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

BUNION SURGERY BOTH FEET OR ONE AT A TIME?

Posted by Charrice on 7/02/03 at 18:42 (123467)

I have bunions on both feet and want to have them corrected surgically. I've been told to get one foot done at a time with at least 9 months in between surgeries but also know of people who have had both feet corrected at the same time. How long would I be off my feet if I had one foot done at a time, or how long if they are both corrected simultaneously. Is the pain more severe with double surgery or should I have them done at once so that I do not have to return for a second surgery and more time off work.

Re: BUNION SURGERY BOTH FEET OR ONE AT A TIME?

Dr. Z on 7/02/03 at 18:47 (123468)

If all depends on what procedure for the bunionectomy you are having done.
You can have both done if you are willing to use a walker and maybe a wheel chair for a period of time. So it all depends on you what your surgeon decide. Bunion surgery can be very painful whether you one or two done

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/04/03 at 10:48 (123570)

Dr. Z is correct when he states that it depends on the procedures being performed. There are dozens of different procedures, but as a general rule I prefer performing surgery on one foot at a time, but don't require 9 months between procedures. You must discuss your concerns with your surgeon and his/her preference for performing one or both at the same time. I strongly disagree with Dr. Z regarding pain following bunion surgery, and I don't think it's a great idea to put this concern to patients. In 18 years of performing the full spectrum of bunion procedures, pain has very rarely been an issue. Many patients are inconvenienced by the use of a cast, shower restrictions, etc., but pain is rarely an issue. As I've stated in prior posts, it seems that most patients are surprised at the lack of discomfort. I don't think that this is unique to my practice, I believe that most patients undergoing bunion surgery have minimal post op discomfort.

rose on 7/04/03 at 14:20 (123586)

I had surgery on both of my feet three days ago. One was a neuroma and the other was a PF release. I am in a wheel chair. I am supposed to be able to walk with crutches, but there is no way. The neuroma is extremely painful, very very hard to sleep at night. I had no idea this would wo much worse than the PF release. I have a boot on the PF and just a surgical show on the other foot. I have found a way to take a shower. I found a regular sized folding plastic garden chair at Target that fits in the bathtub perfectly. It has a back on it. I sit backwards in the tub with both feet up on the sides/back of the tub. Then I have a hose shower head and it works great. I need help in getting in and out of the shower, as well as everything else, since I can just barely make it in and out of a wheel chair.
I welcome comments from anybody who has had surgery of any type on both feet at once.

Dr. Z on 7/04/03 at 14:51 (123591)

Dr. Wander,

I do want to clarify that the pain that the post op bunion patient may or may not have can be controlled with proper aftercare and pain medication. It is usually short lived and controlled but the surgeon must realize that pain is part of most bunion surgeries and take the correct steps to reduce and or eliminate. There are many very good pain medications and treatments that will control pain. My point was that the patient shouldn't think oh take two adavil and the pain is gone

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/05/03 at 08:16 (123612)

Dr. Z,

I agree that the surgeon should make pain medications available to post op patients, and patients should not have to experience pain. In my personal experience of performing a lot of bunion surgeries, is that there is rarely the need for pain medication, even though I do prescribe it post operatively. As long as there are no contraindications, I have my patients take Advil 3 times daily (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and I also prescribe a narcotic pain reliever. I have statistics for all my post op patients, and over 90% of my post op bunion patients end up taking only the Advil and do not end up taking the pain medication. Once again, although I have confidence in my surgical skills, I don't think these results are unique to my practice. I've spoken with many doctors that have similar results. I have very specific post op instructions that are discussed with the patient one week prior to surgery and are handed out again post operatively. Post op bunionectomies are usually placed in a removal cast and the use of ice is strongly encouraged, and most importantly, patients must use common sense and limit activity.

Dr. Z on 7/07/03 at 08:48 (123699)

There are so many factors when pain and surgery are involved. What narcotic medication do you prescribe to your post-op patients?