Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery for heel spur/achilles tendonitis

Posted by Denise B on 7/02/03 at 19:39 (123472)

I am considering having surgery for my heel spur/achilles tendonitis. My orthopedic dr is against it, although he will do it if I insist. He is one of the top drs. in this area, so I don't doubt his ability. But, he says it's only about a 60 percent chance of success. Has anyone else had this surgery? Would you mind to tell me about it. I would really appreciate it. Thank you. :-/

Re: surgery for heel spur/achilles tendonitis

Dr. Z on 7/02/03 at 20:46 (123476)

Hi
Getting surgery where the achilles tendon inserts into the back of the heel bone is a very involved surgery with a very long recovery. Many times the surgeon has to remove the achilles tendon and then use metal anchors to re-attach the tendon.

We have been using ESWT off label for this condition with very effective results since 1999. It has none of the disability then you can have with surgery.

LindaJ on 7/03/03 at 10:51 (123502)

Hello,
I had surgery on Aug. 6th, 2002, almost a year ago. I have Haglunds Deformity and heel spurs that had calified into my tendon. My doctor did a right calcaneous bone debridement and achillis insertion debridment. Now 11 months later I am still having major problems. I have two metal 'hooks' that hooked my tendon back to the bone. I was in a cast for 5 weeks, out of it for 9 days, then while walking the 'hooks' pulled off taking a sliver of bone with it. I was back in a cast for 6 more weeks. I was suppose to be out of work for 1 month and ended up out for 5 months. To cut to the chase, my bursa sack on the back of my heel now sticks out futher than the rest of my heel. It hurts all the time. My doctor said that the 'hooks' are being irrated. He wants to go in and take the hooks out and 'shave off some more bone' and back in a cast for 6 weeks. I've been to PT 3 sets of sessions since surgery. It is doing no good at all. I only have a range of motion of 5 (normal 15-20) when flexing my right foot up. My left is at 15. I know I'm going to have to have surgery on my right foot....I am just delaying as long as I can. My left heel is now starting to act as my right did before surgery, but not real bad yet. What can I do to prevent all these problems that I have on the right to be on the left? PT? Strecting?
Linda

JodiA on 7/06/03 at 12:01 (123654)

Hello, I had surgery done for heel spur/achilles tendonitis in july of last year. It was my last resort as I had already tried the ice, rest, physical therapy, anti-inflamatories, walking cast for 6 weeks,heel lifts, etc. It helped the pain only slightly, I still have almost as much trouble out of it as I did before the surgery, only now with a lovely scar to go with it. Just my experience. JodiA