Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Summer glory and eye problems

Posted by Sharon W on 7/03/03 at 13:01 (123509)

I'm sure most of us will be out enjoying the sunshine tomorrow, taking in the beauty of this special season in all its glory... But it might be a good idea to keep this article by Health Day reporter, Dennis Thompson Jr., in mind (excerpts follow).

Sharon

------------------------

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=97&e=1&u=/hsn/20030703/hl_hsn/summerafeastandthreatfortheeyes

'An estimated 2.4 million eye injuries occur in the United States each year, with the bulk of them coming during summer. As a result, nearly 1 million Americans have permanent visual impairment, and more than 75 percent of these people are blind in one eye, according to the U.S. Eye Injury Registry.'

'July has been designated Eye Injury Prevention Month by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. So, as you work, play, clean or simply savor the sun, take precautions to protect your eyes.'

'Sunglasses are the most important tool in your eye-protection arsenal, says Betsy van Die, media relations director for Prevent Blindness America. ...the important thing is that they are marked to block UV rays'

'For the best protection, you should wear sunglasses that block 99 percent to 100 percent of UV radiation. When buying sunglasses, look for a sticker on them that offers that measure of safety. Don't buy sunglasses that just say they 'block harmful UV,' van Die says.'

'Goggles or safety glasses should be used whenever you're working with power equipment to do yard work. You also should be sure that anyone who's nearby when you operate a lawnmower, power trimmer or edger is similarly equipped.'

'If kids are watching you, they should also wear goggles even if they're not doing any work,' van Die says. 'Even sunglasses are better than nothing at all, because they will prevent things from flying up into your eyes.'

Re: Summer glory and eye problems

Necee on 7/03/03 at 16:26 (123522)

Very good suggestions.

I've heard many horror stories concerning eye accidents, one in particular........my cousin was fishing and got his lure hung in the water, he yanked real hard trying to free it, all of a sudden that lure came out of the water like a bullet and hit him right in his eye, he is now blind in that eye because of this freak accident. Knowing what happened to him, I now always turn my face away from the water when trying to free up a fishing line.

Happy trails...

Necee

john h on 7/03/03 at 19:11 (123535)

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1517417577

Sharon W on 7/03/03 at 19:39 (123537)

Wow.

Sharon
:)

marie on 7/03/03 at 20:54 (123539)

Too Cool! Thanks for sharing that!!!!!!!!

Sandra D on 7/03/03 at 21:44 (123541)

That was so cool ......Thanks

Re: Really neat!

Suzanne D on 7/04/03 at 06:44 (123546)

Thanks for sharing that with everyone, John! It's worth waiting for it to load!

Happy 4th of July, everyone! **==

Suzanne :)

Re: Really neat!

Kathy G on 7/04/03 at 08:23 (123556)

That is so cool. Thanks, John!

Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

Re: Polarized sun glasses

BrianG on 7/04/03 at 09:15 (123561)

Whoa!!! I've done it many times myself (not in the eye). I try to always wear my polarized sunglasses when fishing, even in the rain! Mine are even bi-focals, as the knots are getting too small and fuzzy to see, hahahaaa. Thanks for the reminder.....B

Re: bi-focals...

Suzanne D on 7/04/03 at 14:09 (123584)

Brian, about 5 years ago I started wearing reading glasses from the drug store for fine print. I had never worn glasses before. I don't need them much as first graders write big, and materials printed for them are also in larger letters.

Finally, I had to start wearing them not long ago for playing the piano at church. I put them on to play and then take them off the rest of the time.

I almost got into big trouble, though, about a month ago when I played for a wedding. I had to have the glasses to see the music, but then when I looked up to watch the bridesmaids come down the aisle, they were just blurs! I realized that night I had to do something before the next afternoon. I bought a pair of those half-glasses which I don't like, but I liked them better than messing up the music for someone's wedding!

Since then, someone told me they make over-the-counter reading glasses that are bi-focals. The last time I visited the optometrist, he said I could get a pair from him, but that the other kind was fine for me if I didn't want to pay that much. At the time, I didn't think about situations like the wedding and opted for staying with the cheap kind.

Oh, the fun of getting older! #-o

Suzanne :)