Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking for info on subtalar fusion

Posted by jASON on 7/04/03 at 07:37 (123551)

I fell of a cliff broke my talus three years ago. They did not fuse me at that time. I have been pretty functional but am set in a state of vulgas and experience arthritis. I would like to be able to return to backpacking which is currently out of the question due to ease sprains and my difficulty with carrying weight. How would a subtalr fusion affect my ability to backpack? Would I be able to jog?

Re: Looking for info on subtalar fusion

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/04/03 at 11:18 (123575)

A subtalar joint fusion is often needed as a sequelae of a talar fracture that went into the joint and either caused deformity or traumatic arthritis. Such fusions do take a long time to heal and cannot be undone so do some serious research before moving forward. At times, a triple arthrodesis needs to be done instead. That involves a subtalar joint fusion along with a midtarsal joint fusion -- get a couple of oinions on that issue too.

Re: Dr. Ed: activity after subtalar fusion?

lee on 7/04/03 at 14:18 (123585)

Dr. Ed, I am also curious about the level of activity one would be capable of after a subtalar fusion. Would you be able to hike or jog?

Re: Dr. Ed: activity after subtalar fusion?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/04/03 at 14:57 (123593)

Many are able to maintain a fairly high level of activity once the subtalar joint fusion heals, including jogging. One of the functions of that joint is shock absorbtion. I would pay careful attention to footwear after that procedure, favoring running shoes with good cushioning.