Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ruptured Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Taylor S on 7/05/03 at 19:56 (123641)

I was wondering what the steps were for having a ruptured Plantar Fasciitis. If there are any medications or if surgery would help, or if just put a cast on it will help. Thanks a lot.

Re: Ruptured Plantar Fasciitis

MelissaT on 7/06/03 at 01:58 (123650)

Hi, I would also like advice as well. I have had plantar fascitis for 4 years off and on in both feet. I was doing aerobics 3weeks ago and felt this pop in my left foot with immediate pain. My Primary care dr said I tore/ruptured my fascia and put me in a 'boot'. I have been waiting for 3 weeks to see a podiatrist and I am in still a fair amount of pain. I have been trying to wean off the boot, how long should it be immobilized?? I am also having sharp or stinging pains radiating from the ball of my foot. fyi..there is not alot of info on the internet re: rupture of fascia.

thanks.

Dorothy on 7/06/03 at 18:57 (123671)

The very idea, just imagining it, of actually rupturing the fascia makes me so uncomfortable that it is difficult reading about it. I feel for you and hope you get relief soon.

Maybe my active imagination is over-reacting to the idea of an all-out rupture and maybe it is not that different from 'simple' plantar fasciitis. You describe 'a fair amount of pain' with the rupture, while PF can generate a great deal of pain. Can a rupture heal completely on its own??

On a selfish level, I would like to know how to PREVENT a rupture of the fascia from ever happening. Can others advise on that part of this topic as well?

SteveG on 7/06/03 at 20:20 (123678)

Dorothy - I am not a doctor, but having read on these boards for quite a while, I would say the two main causes of rupture are too many cortisone shots and stretching that is overly agressive e.g., stair stretch. I would not get more than 2-3 shots a year, and I would be careful about how I stretch.

Dr. Z on 7/06/03 at 21:12 (123682)

Local steriod injections are one of the causes. There is an article on this site which talks about local steriod inducted ruptures and treatment. Go to the section on articles.