Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just diagnosed with heel spur

Posted by Lisa V. on 7/07/03 at 14:08 (123706)

Two weeks ago I was playing volleyball and I stepped down on my right foot and felt a popping sort of stretch. I sat down to rest and it started to swell so I iced it for about 20 minutes. After icing, I wasn't able to put any weight on it at all, so I was seen in the ER where there treated me for foot strain and put me in a post-op shoe for a week. They told me to see a Dr. if the pain got worse or if I was still having problems in a week. My foot was so swollen that I couldn't put it in a regular shoe for 9 days. Today I saw a podiatrist. He did an x-ray and showed me that I have a bone spur. I have been reading about different treatment options, and it seems that surgery is one of the last. The Dr. explained to me that heel spurs don't go away on their own and told me how they surgically get rid of them. He also told me about cortizone shots, but said because I am on my feet 8 hours a day, he didn't think it would be much help. He taped my foot up and I go back to see him in 2 more days after I think about my options. I don't think he gave me very many options! What do you think? Also, how do you think I can educate my employer so that they understand the need for me to rest my foot every couple of hours?

Re: Just diagnosed with heel spur

Dr. Z on 7/07/03 at 18:31 (123718)

The heel pain book is an excellence source for treatment options. Placing your foot in a boot cast. Taking nsaid are just two more treatment options. The key is to rest your foot. Get the weight off of the heel. A boot cast is a very good way to do this. A heel cup can also help. Very tough to pick out the right option for you without seeing your foot. The key is early agressive treatment . Have your doctor write a note stating that you need to rest your foot is the best way to explain your heel pain problem