Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Paranoid about new pain...

Posted by Aly R. on 7/09/03 at 13:26 (123864)

Hi everyone,

I've had atypical PF for over a year now, but just today I experienced pain in the backs of my heels while walking. Do I need to worry about achilles tendon complications or something else?

I did accidently overstretch yesterday, and felt a 'twang' in that area, so it's probably just caused by that, but when I've overstretched in the past I didn't have this pain. Has anyone else had this? I figured I'd ask the question on day 1 of pain, not on month 3 like when I first developed PF...

Re: Paranoid about new pain...

Kathy G on 7/09/03 at 18:02 (123893)

Hi Aly,

I frequently have pain in that area. My Pod says I have Achilles Tendonitis but from what I can gather, everyone who has PF seems to have Achilles Tendonitis. I just wait and it goes away, or at least it becomes less noticeable. One time when I went to my Pod, he said that every tendon in my foot was inflamed and I believe that is often true of all of us. Sometimes, don't you feel like you really understand what the term, 'Hotfoot,' means? :D

marie on 7/09/03 at 19:40 (123900)

Oh yes many of us have had tendonitis in that area. I can only speak from my own experience.....it does get better but it takes time. Try not to overstretch. I did that alot when I first started stretching and I really flared up. Take care of yourself.....PF isn't any fun.

Best wishes to you Aly!

marie

Aly on 7/10/03 at 16:35 (123964)

Thanks guys, I was worried I might be developing some new foot issue altogether. I think I'm going to stop anything that stretches my achilles and stretch the way they discusss in the post 'Encouraging stretching study results'. Maybe that will clear things up. :)

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/10/03 at 17:56 (123997)

Aly:

A large percentage of patients with intractable PF also have restricted ankle dorsiflexion (movement of the foot bakc on the leg) AKA, functional equinus. Pain at the back of the heel, at the insertion of the achilles may be a clue to the existence of that problem.

Ed

Aly on 7/11/03 at 08:35 (124066)

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your post. Up until about a month ago I was doing weight-bearing slant board stretches morning and night. My flexibility in that area was excellent, but of course my PF was miserable and I was starting to feel some irritation in the lower achilles (i.e. where it's attached to the back of the heel).

Just how far back should the foot be able to go ideally? It seems no matter how I stretch my achilles now, it seems to get irritated, so I'm not sure if I should leave it alone or ?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/12/03 at 16:23 (124251)

Aly:

One should, ideally, have about 15 degrees of dorsiflexion.
Ed