Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

charlatans vs. new alternatives

Posted by lara on 7/10/03 at 10:31 (123944)

I am very discouraged by the recent thread on 'is this for real'.
I certainly understand, applaud, and support efforts to expose and condemn charlatans.

As a non-medical consumer I cannot always tell the difference. The Atkins diet was at one time considered bogus. There is a treatment at Johns Hopkins for treatment of seizures (with very high fat diet I believe) which was considered sufficiently bogus that physicians tried to prevent their patients from purusing that avenue (don't know if this is still true). While compression socks are mainstream treatment, it does not appear common treatment for Tarsal Tunnell syndrome (even though it should be and is for some practitioners) - I base this not only on reactions from the medical community locally, but also from the lack of mention of compression socks when discussion treatments on almost every website I've gone to (including this website) for a google.com search regarding Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. If one listened to me describe the effectiveness of compression socks for me it could sound 'too good to be true' and in fact has been poo-pooed as podiatric medicine that wouldn't be touched by the vaulted orthosurgeons (the speaker was an orthopod), who believes it probably works on the placebo principle (something once widely accepted but recently research indicates it isn't near as prevalent as once thought).

Most of the time things that seem 'too good to be true' are too good to be true. Oftentimes you can tell because snake oil sales people often use similar language. But just often enough to give hope to sufferers, sometimes things do work for some people. However, what I have learned from this thread is that if one were to ask about something, they do so at the risk of mocking if it turns out to be quackery.

That probably is not the writer's intention. MOst people on these boards are good & decent people. The professionals on this board give generously of their time for us lay people and I am most grateful. We all have our buttons and subjects that drive us crazy (me too.) Unfortunatley, once I've learned that something is a lightning rod, I can't write 'this post is for everyone but.....'

Not sure how I'll handle similar situations in the future.

Re: charlatans vs. new alternatives

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/10/03 at 17:16 (123979)

Hopefully you read my post of 7/9 which comments on the compression sock issue and some hints on evaluating alternative treatments.

I am currently going through a knock down battle with local insurers to try to get ESWT covered. Dr. Z was one of the early pioneers in ESWT and took enormous flak for that early but will be vindicated. The system can be very slow in recognizing newer and effective treatments. Occasionally, slow deliberation is protective.

We are all 'in the same boat' here do don't get discouraged.

lara on 7/11/03 at 07:47 (124056)

Yes, thanks for your post. I followed up and asked my podiatrist about the varicose veins possiblity and she agreed with you - she said once they get inside they are frequently finding varicose veins among people with no known cause. She also said that since I have a reasonable life, she wouldn't recommend surgery - so that's been put on the back burner.

Just recently I started pursuing thyroid as a more likely avenue. I have NO family history of varicose veins (not in siblings, parents, grandparents, cousins). This of course isn't proof dispositive, but for the moment the varicose vein hypothesis is on the back burner. I have a STRONG family history of thyroid problems. See the doctor next week to start pursuing this (I hope)

john h on 7/11/03 at 08:06 (124058)

Lara: I have no visable vericose veins and no family history but when the surgeon looked into my tarsal tunnel he found one and removed it. This however did not cure my PF>

john h on 7/11/03 at 08:36 (124067)

Lara: I have no visable vericose veins and no family history but when the surgeon looked into my tarsal tunnel he found one and removed it. This however did not cure my PF>

lara on 7/11/03 at 10:12 (124082)

Hhhmmmmm. Thanks. I'll keep it filed. I'm going to pursue the thyroid thing next, cuz 1) it looks likely and 2) I've already tried the varicose vein route. Last time I pursued the varicose vein theory(within the past year or so) the doctor recommended against surgery anyway cuz of my level of functioning. But if the thyroid thing turns out to be a dead end, maybe medicine will have advnaced further on the tarsal tunnel angle - or I'll come back and ask more questions about how to pursue the varicose vein angle more aggressively.

Thanks again.

Suzanne D on 7/11/03 at 22:23 (124176)

Dear Lara,

I'm sorry you're discouraged by the thread you mentioned. I have found you to be kind and helpful to others by telling them about compression socks and how they have helped you. I believe you were sincerely asking if anyone knew more about the site you posted. As I tell my first graders, 'There are no dumb questions'. When you want to know something, you ask.

I also believe through my reading of these boards for two years that BGCPed is passionate about helping people and frustrated at the many times he has seen especially older people being 'taken in' by those who would take advantage of someone in pain. From all his posts I have read, I believe that was where he was coming from and not that he meant to make you feel foolish for posting the question.

Perhaps I don't even belong in this discussion, but there is enough hurt out there with our feet and legs; I just don't like to see feelings hurt as well. Thank you for reaching out to others with your knowledge, and I hope this makes you feel just a little better. Everyone benefits when questions are raised and answers are given by those who know.

Take care,
Suzanne :)

lara on 7/12/03 at 18:50 (124267)

Thanks Suzanne.

I agree with you that BGC is passionate about helping people and sees far too many charlatans for his like. I also think he gives generously of his time and knowledge for the rest of us and am very appreciative. He is an asset to the boards and we are lucky to have him. Regardless of intentions, I will now think twice about such postings. I found it unpleasant not only for myself, but also for others who may have purchased the book for whatever reason. Perhaps it's a better solution to ignore all charlatans anyway, than to bring attention to them on this board.

BGCPed on 7/12/03 at 20:41 (124277)

Lara please dont feel the need to censor your thoughts. My opinion is just that an opinion. I am bit sarcastic and a wise ass so keep that in mind. Hell I converted Marie to conservative lefty with my wit, charm and comments