Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swelling---- 5 weeks post-surgery??

Posted by Carol D on 7/10/03 at 15:28 (123956)

I am five weeks post-op for TTS and beginning to walk about some, without crutches part of the time. After about 1/2 day, I have considerable swelling and need to ice and elevate--which doesn't seem to do too much for the swelling. Do other people have experience with this? Is it important to moderate use of my foot in order to prevent swelling? What about anti-inflamatories? Is a return to crutches necessary? Any thoughts are welcome.

Re: Swelling---- 5 weeks post-surgery??

cindyp on 7/10/03 at 16:59 (123971)

I had that problem off and on for almost 9 months after surgery. Take your time it takes a long time to heal.

stella on 7/10/03 at 17:35 (123988)

Wow ur walking!!! I had surgery may 22nd and still cant do that ha ha . My heel is too numb so i put some weight on the top of my foot and that is killing me. So im still with walker and wheelchair i cant do much. But foot is swelling i still keep ice and pain killers in me. I hope it works out. Try not to rush it

lauriel on 7/11/03 at 12:47 (124112)

I say WOW you are doing great at 5 weeks to be on your feet 1/2 day, Dont think I reached that point until 3 months!. You may be overdoing it. You might say be on your feet 15 minutes then ice, elevate and so on ,but keep up with the ice and elevate as much as possible. My swelling didnt go down for months
Laurie

Re: Modification

Carol D on 7/11/03 at 14:58 (124132)

Hi. I left you with a mistaken impression. Most of the 1/2 day is not 'on my feet'---just some minimal daily activities around the house without crutches--with lots of sitting time in between. The rest of the day is with crutches for those minimal activities.
Thanks for the responses and the information. It helps so much to hear from others

Re: Modification

lauriel on 7/11/03 at 16:34 (124141)

Carol Now that sounds more like it. After I posted, I thought I really wasnt on my feet half day for like 4-5 months. Sounds like you are doing pretty good
Laurie