Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What's causing my heel pain, Can someone help me?

Posted by Bruce B on 7/10/03 at 16:38 (123966)

I am new to this problem. I am a runner and weekend soccer player. In February I switched running shoes from Saucony to New Balance. I run about 2 to 4 times a week, either 5 or 6 miles at a time. I have started to have severe pain at the back of my heel. It hurts to the touch. I bought a pair of shoe inserts to give more arch support, but those don't seem to have helped much. Anyone know what I can do about this?

Re: What's causing my heel pain, Can someone help me?

Dr. Z on 7/10/03 at 17:30 (123981)

It could be either achilles tendonitis and or haglunds deformity. You need to stop running for now and see a doctor who will give you medication to reduce the pain and swelling and to evaluate the cause of your tendon pain

Bruce B on 7/10/03 at 17:32 (123983)

Thanks, I can't imagine it's a deformity -- I have been running for 12 years and have never had the problem.

Dorothy on 7/10/03 at 18:28 (124001)

Have you tried icing it? Have you read the book on this website regarding heel pain? Do your symptoms correspond to Achilles tendonitis? Plantar fasciitis? Something else? It seems that a more specific description of your symptoms might lead you to more specific information...possibly?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/10/03 at 19:21 (124008)

Bruce:
Haglunds deformity is one of the more common problems with professional soccer players.
ed

Elizabeth C. on 7/11/03 at 07:56 (124057)

Dr. Ed,
I have never heard of Haglunds deformity. What is this, what are the symptoms. The reason I ask, I played competitive soccer through Jr. high, High School, College, and recently an Over-thirty women's leage. I know this was a huge factor in my PF, but what is this Haglunds Deformity? I had 'Compartmental Syndrom' from being kicked over and over in the shin (with shin guards)in one season, but this is interesting.

Elizabeth

Dr. Z on 7/11/03 at 11:43 (124092)

Hope you don't mind Dr. Z answering this. Haglunds deformity is a boney enlargement of the upper outside back of your heel bone. Some times it is an abnormal angulaton of the heel bone in relationship to the ground. Another name is pump bumps. Very common in the high heel shoe days