Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dateline has a segment on at 8:00 tonight.

Posted by marie on 7/11/03 at 19:40 (124161)

Dateline has a seg on Neurontin tonight at 8:00 check your tv guide.

Re: Dateline has a segment on at 8:00 tonight.

Sharon W on 7/11/03 at 21:08 (124168)

Or, if you already missed it (like I did), check it out at this site:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/937302.asp

Dateline's report is titled:

'Drug giant accused of false claims'
'Whistleblower alleges illegal encouragement of off-label use'

------------------------------------

Marie,

Thanks for pointing this out to us!

Sharon

Re: BTW, IT'S ABOUT NEURONTIN PRESCRIBED FOR OFF-LABEL USE LIKE TTS

Sharon W on 7/11/03 at 21:10 (124169)

:( I think this may cause a lot of insurance companies to stop paying for our Neurontin.

Sharon

Dr. Z on 7/12/03 at 11:22 (124210)

That's the end of neurontin !!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/12/03 at 12:23 (124221)

Sharon and Dr. Z:

My experience with the manufacturer is exactly the opposite of what the newsman, Hockenberry, is claiming. Of course, one can always find a disaffected employee to talk. I too, would worry that the story will do more to harm the interest of the public than help.

I have seen a number of Hockenberry's stories throughout the years. I consider him to be a biased, poor reporter. He found a little dirt and would like to build a big mound with it. I have little respect for him.
Ed

Dr. Z on 7/12/03 at 15:09 (124246)

Let hope that patients have common sense and will choice fact from fiction.. TTS and neuropathy patients have alot to lose without this drug

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/12/03 at 15:23 (124247)

Dr. Z:

I have confidence that patients, when well informed, will act on common sense. I wish I had the same level of confidence in government agencies, at times.
Ed

Sharon W on 7/13/03 at 00:58 (124294)

Dr. Z, Dr. Ed,

Dr. Z, you sure are right about neuropathy patients having a lot to lose without Neurontin! It's not exactly like there are a lot of drugs out there that aren't addicting in the way most painkillers are, so they CAN be used long-term for those of us with chronic pain. And of course, with neuropathy (including TTS) pain control is usually going to be needed for more than a couple of weeks at a time...

It may well be that Neurontin doesn't work well for manic/depressives -- I wouldn't know about that -- but I do know that most doctors are smart enough to figure out for themselves whether a drug is helping their patients or not, and they aren't likely to keep prescribing it if it never works!

Sharon

lauriel on 7/14/03 at 12:17 (124389)

Here is an excerpt from part of the article saying Neurontin was apprived for nerve pain last year, so hopefully this wont become an insurance problem

'Last year the FDA approved the use of Neurontin in the treatment of post herpetic neuralgia, severe nerve pain'

Laurie

marie on 7/14/03 at 12:29 (124392)

At the end of the segment they did anounce that neurontin was recently approved for pain from nerve damage. I have an old friend who is bi-polar and manic at times . She was on it for two years. During that time she tried to kill herself and was in and out of stress centers. The psychiatrist kept increasing the dose but still no improvement. The psychiatrist told her that she didn't think the neurontin was helping at all so she switched her to a different medication. Now she is well and functioning wonderfully and working.It's so wonderful to have her back. My friend did not have insurance as she wasn't able to hold a job. She had to pay $750.00 a month for her neurontin. When she was fianlly approved for disability she got $800.00 a month so that meant she had a big $50.00 left for everything else. She is very unhappy with Pfizer....I suppose she would have a good case if there is a class action suit. She doesn't want any big settlement because she, like myself is not sue happy, but she would like to have some of the money back that she wasted on neurontin. I guess we will see how it all plays out.

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/14/03 at 13:30 (124401)

marie:

But what was the fault of Pfizer in this situation? Doctors have discretion in what meds are being prescribed. Perhaps the doc waited too long to switch her to a different medication.
Ed

Sharon W on 7/15/03 at 08:25 (124458)

Laurie,

Post herpetic neuralgia is the pain that results when the chicken pox (herpes zoster) virus lies dormant along the nerve for many years and then flares up again when your immune system is compromised. It causes redness, and severe nerve pain. The thing that is not clear to me, is whether Neurontin was approved for BOTH post herpetic neuralgia, AND severe nerve pain (in general) -- or only for post herpetic neuralgia, which is one type of severe nerve pain.

Sharon

marie on 7/15/03 at 10:20 (124461)

You're right on that one. I pointed out the same thing. She really is an anti sue person so I don't know that she'd actually pursue it. She's just upset after watching the show because she was so waked out for those two years when she could have been on something different that would have helped her. Pfizer discontunued the practice of the original company that produced neurontin too sell off label for bi-polar disorders, so I agree it's not their fault as such. But if there is a class action suit I am sure there will be alot of folks lined up to file.

marie

lauriel on 7/15/03 at 10:44 (124468)

yes, it does sound vague then, that this herpetic neurlogia (sounds like shingles) is covered and it is nerve pain but what about the rest of nerve problems out there, They also had a special not very long ago doing studies on neurontin for menopause, supposed to be the next big break thru since the premarin problems.
Laurie

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/03 at 10:58 (124469)

marie:

I have never been a big Pfizer fan. As a company, they are so different than just a few years back due to all of the merger activity. It is important to try to assess blame where it is actually due though --- the legal landscape in the US would be different if we did.
Ed

Sharon W on 7/15/03 at 11:19 (124471)

Lauriel

Yes, this controversy about how Neurontin has been promoted puts all of that in question, I suppose... One thing that is NOT in question, though, as far as I'M concerned, is the ability of Neurontin to reduce nerve pain. (And there ARE studies out there, that show it does relieve other types of nerve pain, not just shingles. I've researched it.)

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/03 at 14:37 (124488)

Sharon:

Neurontin has been a blessing for a lot of patients with severe nerve pain. There are so many patients in chronic pain who can get a good nights sleep because of this drug. It is far from perfect -- no drug is. That is why I reacted so strongly to Hockenberry.

Ed

Jacqueline P on 7/16/03 at 17:54 (124574)

Neurontin has made a huge difference in my life concerning TTS pain and related problems. Life was unbearable before Neurontin: Intense pain, no sleep, very little activity and depression as a result of all of the former. The only negative aspect is the related confusion I experience on higher doses. I am SOOOO glad my neurologist prescribed Neurontin for me. Hope it works just as well for others

marie on 7/16/03 at 21:35 (124591)

That's ok Dr Ed. As a patient I felt that way myself. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't take neurontin. I was a bit upset that Hockenberry didn't show a patient who has done well with the medication. Especially for folks that have nerve damage and the pain that goes with it. Is there an email address somewhere that we can respond to that Dateline segment? HMMMM.

marie

marie on 7/16/03 at 21:39 (124593)

Oh no....you're right on target. One should calmly asess the situation before proceeding with anything that serious. You brought up a very good point. Two years is way to long to let a patient go without positive results with whatever medication is perscribed. Mental illness is a tough one, sometimes it is trial and error until the right medications are found. Thanks for your input!

marie

Sharon W on 7/17/03 at 09:18 (124612)

Marie,

Yes, there is... I have already responded. Look at the very end of that link I provided for the Dateline story earlier; they give you the option of commenting on it. (You don't get a real ANSWER, though...)

Sharon

marie on 7/17/03 at 19:01 (124669)

Thanks...just sent them my 2 cents...and we all know how long my 2 cents is. More like a dollar's worth.

marie

Re: For Marie

Sharon W on 7/17/03 at 19:04 (124671)

:D